"CPU unworkable or has been changed"

Matt.tt 08:04 28 Jan 07

Hi, I have recently been through a long line of problems with an old computer I am trying to bring back to life. I had got it working well, running windows 2000. Until one day I turned it on and on boot-up it said something about some changes, and that it had updated the coms, (I did not pay much attention to this and just pressed F1 to continue.)

This is where the trouble started, after hitting F1 it showed the screen Stating windows (This was normal) Then it stoped at the end and the computer froze, Then it rebooted itself.
Now it says "CPU is unworkable or has been changed. Please recheck - CPU SOFT MENU" When i press F1 to continue, It goes through the same process i just described to you above.

Please help, any advise would be much apreciated, Thanks.

SLAYER 08:25 28 Jan 07

It sounds like you may have reset the BIOS. Run through all the BIOS settings & correct as necessary ... press F10 to save settings.Do not use default settings as they are not best performance settings.

If upon reboots you still get the same message then maybe your CMOS battery may be dying and it could be resetting the BIOS every time you restart your computer, you should replace it.

Matt.tt 09:05 28 Jan 07

ok, thanks for the surgestion, But how do I know what to change the settings to?

SLAYER 09:17 28 Jan 07

OK, try the default settings,see what happens on reboot.As you say its an old PC and the battery is probably goosed.

Matt.tt 11:26 28 Jan 07

Thanks, Slayer this worked. I changed the battery, and found what speed the cpu works at. The only problem now is it will still not get passed the "Satrting windows screen." But as this thread is titled about the cpu, I will start another.

Thanks again

SLAYER 14:39 28 Jan 07

I will look out for it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…