"CPU is unworkable error..." please help!!

Tonycooper3 11:16 28 Dec 03

Hi, was greeted this error when I switched on my PC yesterday "CPU is unworkable or has been changed, please recheck - CPU soft menu"

Del takes me to the soft menu which reads:

CPU operating speed 866
Ext.Clock (PCI) 133 (1/4)
CPU FSB Plus (Mhz) 0mhz
Multiplier factor x6.5
Speed error hold - disabled
Dram clock - host clk
CPU power supp - CPU default
Core voltage 1.75v
VCC3 Voltage 3.3v
CPU hardwired IOQ - 4 level

If I press F1 to continue, the other boot up info reveals CPU clock is 433 and I'm sure it said 866 before,(it's an 866mhz PIII...)

Any suggestions remedies would be much appreciated!

Cheers,

Tony

Big Elf 11:28 28 Dec 03

These are some FAQs for Abit Motherboards click here

Tonycooper3 12:09 28 Dec 03

Thanks for the pointer mate -

Most likely explanation sounds like electrical trauma on mboard (3 sets of xmas tree lights plugged into the same adapter - d'oh!)

Got any tips for doing this? Did a google search at it sounds tricky/risky.

At least my pc still works at the moment (if only at half speed..)

Tony

Gongoozler 12:29 28 Dec 03

Hi Tonycooper3, 3 sets of christmas tree lights sharing an adapter with your computer may not be the best of ideas, but shouldn't cause that much of an electrical trauma, unless the adapter got knocked around a bit while in use. It is also possible that the CMOS battery is running low and the CMOS data corrupted, but resetting the CMOS could sort things out.

Flashing the BIOS is easy, but has to be done properly. You must use the manufacturers flash utility and download the correct BIOS file from the makers site. The proplem with flashing BIOS is that if the process gets interrupted, of you use the wrong file, your motherboard is rendered unbootable.

Gongoozler 12:32 28 Dec 03

Abit BIOS download - click here

Big Elf 12:37 28 Dec 03

As mentioned in the FAQ. Try everything else first before thinking about reflashing.

DieSse 12:40 28 Dec 03

If it used to work once, you do NOT need to flash the BIOS to make it work again. That would be totally illogical.

Trying resetting the CMOS is a good first step.

DieSse 12:42 28 Dec 03

"disabled DRAM clock" looks a bit suspicious.

DieSse 12:43 28 Dec 03

Ah - sorry - misreading what you were trying to say.

DieSse 12:45 28 Dec 03

Check in the manual what "speed error hold" is , and why it should be disabled or enabled.

Tonycooper3 14:05 28 Dec 03

Many thanks for the assistance - nice one Big Elf.

I don't think I managed to save the settings properly the first time I reset the optimised defaults (solution 2 of the FAQ), but have just repeated the process and it seems to have resolved the problem. Whew!!!

Cheers everyone. Have a good NY.

Tony

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…