cpu unworkabl on boot up

sid 18:09 06 Sep 08

Hi all
op xp pro now get a message cpu unworkable or has been changed on black screen on boot up
message says please re checck cpu soft menu or press F1 to continue

press F1 and it boots up no probs
dont think iv done anything to change bootup sequence as this would probably mean ive been into the bios which i have not

Anyone out there got suggestiions to rectify the prob

all help is thankfully received

Ditch999 18:21 06 Sep 08

How old is the PC?
What does the POST screen list the CPU as?

"this would probably mean ive been into the bios which i have not" Yes, but has anyone else??!!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:38 06 Sep 08

could be the CMOS battery dying and resetting the BIOS to default settings.

sid 15:33 07 Sep 08

yes this pc is past its best age wise a bit like me thnx Fruit Bat the battery could be the prob.
should i just ditch the computer or is there a resolve without too much expense?????

sid 15:35 07 Sep 08

Hi Ditch999
same response its old!!!
Not sure what youre asking on the "POST SCREEN" list

cream. 15:41 07 Sep 08

" is there a resolve without too much expense?????"

Just replace the battery with a new one. About £2 from wilkinsons.

Switch off the computer, pull out the mains plug and open the case. Look on the motherboard for a round silver disk the size of a 5p peice. Pop it out and pop a new one in.

restart the computer.

woodchip 15:42 07 Sep 08

battery on the motherboard only a few pence, does the computer lose time if the mains is not left on. if so the battery does most likely need renewing. its about as big as a ten pence and silver it only goes in one way

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…