cpu too hot?????

meldrewtwo 19:50 23 Mar 04

can anyone offer advice on my problem? I've recently fitted an xp2500+ barton onto a gigabyte ga-7n400e-l mobo and was bothered by a constant beeping which i traced to the processor temp alarm. my problem is the temperature runs between 58c & 66c but i'd read that around 40c was normal. cpu is retail running with supplied fan, i also have a case fan fitted and case temp is around 35c. dont know if its relevant but i use pc3200 memory, could the different bus speeds have anything to do with it???????????

Paranoid Android 20:49 23 Mar 04

First of all, the temperature readings may not be accurate, but if you are getting anywhere near 35 degrees inside the case than that is probably where the problem lies. It suggests that your case ventilation is inadequate, which is quite common in older cases that were not designed for modern CPUs.

Try taking the side off the case and see if that lowers the temperature. If it doesn't, your temperature reading could be inaccurate.

You need to look at the AMD design guide for case cooling click here click here , but basically you need better ventilation. You may be able to mod the case depending on the case design and your ability.

The stock AMD coolers are OK but nothing special. You may choose to invest in a high quality cooler such as the Thermaltake Silent Boost A1889 click here

Marvin

slimbo51 20:57 23 Mar 04

Would also check the proc is seated correctly and the thermal grease is doing its bit.

meldrewtwo 21:40 23 Mar 04

have tried leaving case open with no real difference, will check processor seating and thermal grease, thanks

Parsley 21:45 23 Mar 04

Have you checked the power supply? One of my computers ran very hot when I put a new AMD processor in it. Along with all the other things in the case I think the processor tipped the power supply over the edge! Try a 550w psu with dual fans.

Paranoid Android 21:48 23 Mar 04

CAUTION - if you remove the heat sink you MUST replace the thermal grease or thermal pad with new. Do not re-use the pad.

Marvin

Sethhaniel 11:11 24 Mar 04

click here.
Especially designed for overclockers (or for severe heat conditions), Rain is the latest CPU cooler from Leading Wintech. What makes it different from other CPU coolers (such as Waterfall and CPUIdle) is the fact that it has a different concept: "Extreme Cooling!" With Rain, you'll get the best cooling under Windows 98 nowdays! Rain was especially designed to give you the biggest temperature decrease among all CPU coolers. click here

Gongoozler 11:27 24 Mar 04

58 to 66c is hot, but not disastrously so. About 50C is normal. You won't get cooler than the case temperature! A processor temperature of about 10c above the case temperature is a reasonable, so if the case temperature is below 40c, then you should be able to get a cpu temperature below 50c. Your cpu heatsink can only remove the heat if there is somewhere for it to go, so make sure that there is a clear path for air to get to the heatsink and then from the heatsink to exit the case. It may also be worth looking to see if you can fit a larger heatsink than the one supplied. I've recently fitted a superb large quiet heatsink from Artic Cooling click here.

If your old heatsink used a thermal pad, be particularly careful to remove all traces of the pad before you fit the new heatsink. I have recently burnt out a processor because a minute piece of hardened pad was sticking to the face of the processor.

blanco 17:57 24 Mar 04

As a comparison, I run the same processor with a MSI motherboard and its temperature monitor shows it running at just over 50°C. This is with the CPU running 24/7 at 100% as I am on the UD Cancer Research programme which uses all spare capacity.
I also have two case fans in addition to that on the CPU.
AMD give the maximum temperature for the 2500 Barton as 85°C so I have set the BIOS warning to come at 70°C and would have no worries under that temperature.

sPaNieL*WilL^KiLl 18:19 24 Mar 04

try leaving the pc turned off overnight, then in the morning turn it on and go straight into the BIOS. The temp should be near enough room temp. If it isn't you can safely say that it is just a reading error!

HTH

meldrewtwo 19:15 24 Mar 04

thanks to all who contributed, i think its ok now. i removed the thermal pad that was supplied and bought some thermal grease which has brought temp down to 52c cpu and 30c in the case. i will invest in a new heatsink and fan and see if i can improve things further. thanks again

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…