CPU Temperature, change fan, which one?

Sapins 09:00 29 May 05

I bought a motherboard bundle from Novatech which has a Pentium 4 3.0Ghz processor, the CPU fan is very noisy and using Everest the temperatures are;

Motherboard 33C

CPU 56C

Aux 31C

ST380021A 25C

I have changed the connection for the fan from the motherboard to a fan controller and turned it down so the noise is acceptable, the temperatures have changed to;

M/Bd 37C

CPU 60C

Aux 23C

ST380021A 33C

Are these temperatures an acceptable level?

If not is it easy to change the fan and which one should I go for? Is it just a matter of lifting the two white clips and changing it or is there some sort of compound to scrape off and renew?

961 09:28 29 May 05

If this bundle is new and under warranty then the fan or its connections should not be changed as this will void the warranty

No doubt the Intel web site will list the maximum temperatures for the processor. AMD processors will run happily at the temperatures you describe although a well cooled system will probably run cooler

If the problem is noise then there are other ways of supressing this such as noise insulation on the case walls etc

Sapins 10:07 29 May 05

Hi 961, It is under warranty but I'm in France so getting it back is a problem, I can't use sound insulation as it is in a clear perspex tower. I'll check the Intel site and see what it will run at safely.

Totally-braindead 11:25 29 May 05

The temp to watch is the CPU. Suggest you look at this click here identify the processor you have and see what temps they recommend. I'm an AMD fan so I don't have much knowledge in the temps that Intel chips run at but the Intel site should be able to help. Changing a fan if you wish to do it is fairly easy the things that are very important is to clean off all the old thermal paste and renew it and to ensure the heatsink is sitting properly on top of the processor, if you don't do this then you could blow your processor up.

Technotiger 11:41 29 May 05

Hi, if you do decide to change - take note:-

click here

Cheers.

Sapins 11:44 29 May 05

I have already gone round in the proverbial circles on this site, I can't seem to find the right link to click on, can you tell me the route to take please.

Sapins 11:48 29 May 05

I think I'll just buy some ear plugs :-)

Dr. Charles(retired now) 12:34 29 May 05

You can down load an "Active monitor" from the Intel site which will tell you what is high etc

Dorsai 13:50 29 May 05

A few points that may help.

I read elsewhere that some retail boxed heat sinks can have their performance improved by replacing the standard thermal compound with a high quality one. This was also true when it was the heat sink that came in the same box as the CPU. I did not book mark the link, as it applied to P4's and I have AMD. I can't recommend any one compound, but think "artic silver 3" was the one suggested by those doing the testing??

Do you have a case fan? There is much debate regarding using a case fan as an exhaust fan (to blow hot air out) or an induction fan (cold air in).

I personally prefer an induction fan, at the bottom of the case, at the front. This way the PSU acts as the exhaust fan, and cold air comes in at the front, and hot air out at the back.

There are temp controlled fans, (My induction fan is one such) that automatically speed up as the temperature of the sensor (that you can put where ever you want) increases. This sensor I have positoned in the airflow off my PCU fan. As the CPU warms up, the air coming off it gets hotter, and this causes the case fan to speed up.

The same is true of CPU fans. This unit click here for example actively monitors CPU temp, and varies the CPU fan speed accordingly.

961 15:31 29 May 05

I suggest you type "intel pentium 4 temperature" into Google and you will get to the page in the intel site about temperatures, fan control, and noise

I can't see any logic in starting to remove the heatsink from the processor. If it has been commercialy assembled then you won't re-assemble it better, but could well do it worse or even wreck the thing

Links above give help on identifying your processor, and correct installation and control of fans. If you want to go beyond that then I feel you either need to email the supplier for advice about an alternative fan or look to reducing noise by alternative siting of the tower or sound insulation

rubella 15:37 29 May 05

Getting the case cool is essential. Cooling the CPU is only part of the battle. You can throw the fattest fan you like at the CPU, but without refrigeration it will never be cooler than the interior of your case. So, you can regard the case as establishing the baseline of what you can achieve running on air.

There’s been a bunch of babble talked about case cooling on forums, most notably the now debunked myth of the aluminium case acting as a giant heatsink. What has become clear from closer examination is air throughput is by far the biggest factor outside the cooler on the CPU. Pump that hot air out of there.

I aim to run all my machines only a couple of degrees hotter than the interior of my case. The AMD I’m writing this on is running a massive overclock so it needs the core voltage raised, and that produces more heat. It’s still running with only a very low noise penalty with an interior temp of 33c and a CPU temp of 35c. Even though I’m only using a CPU heatpipe and a big Delta black label [attenuated for noise], that is possible because the volume of air I have flowing through my case doesn’t allow heat to build up.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…