CPU Temperature

firerescue999 08:25 10 Mar 07

Hi, I recently replaced my motherboard and now the CPU temperature keeps going up and down between 41 to 51 degrees. The CPU is fitted correctly and has Silver thermal compound applied. The CPU is a Skt 478 P4 3.2Ghz. Do you think I need to lap the heatsink or do you think I need to replace the Heatsink? Many thanks

skidzy 08:35 10 Mar 07

Temp sounds ok,though maybe a little high.Possibly a better heatsink would be a good approach.
Maybe the cpu is working a little to hard from startup,try reducing your startup programs.
Start/run and type MSCONFIG and select startup,untick everything except your anti virus/Firewall/and any realtime antispyware program you may have...and reboot.

Is the temp the Bios reading,or are you using something like Speedfan or Everest or cpu-z etc...

Overall,i think your temp readings are ok.

firerescue999 08:58 10 Mar 07

Hi thanks for the response, yes im using Everest.

firerescue999 09:08 10 Mar 07

Just thought I would add that most of the time the cpu temperature is fluctuating by only 3 degrees and then sometimes it's 10 degrees. Strange. I think a good quality heatsink is the way forward.

Gongoozler 09:16 10 Mar 07

41 to 51 degrees - no problem at all. I don't think Everest is a very good way of measuring CPU temperature. I much prefer MBM5 click here which has the option to display the temperature on the sysyem tray.

skidzy 09:18 10 Mar 07

Try speedfan and see if this is the same readings,reason i say this...ive had a ongoing reading using these programs and it turns out the mobo has an unconnected sensor...and this too is a socket 478 board.
click here and

firerescue999 09:21 10 Mar 07

Thanks for the advice

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…