cpu temp irregular/ jumps up &down

jay9614 11:40 27 Jul 07

hi, ive checked my cpu temperature in setup. it keeps jumping around from 34 to 48 deg.C.

I only have the temperature monitor that came built into the pc. the mother board temp is fine.
can anyone tell me where the sensor for the cpu is? is it on the end of the heatsink that comes into contact with the cpu?
im going to replace the thermal grease and see if that helps.

Quiet Life 17:23 27 Jul 07

Frankly with these readings I do not believe you have a problem. CPU temeperatures change in seconds and it could be your CPU fan is controling the temperature and cutting in and out.
It is worth downloading click here which will let you monitor fan settings and see temperatures.

jay9614 18:31 27 Jul 07

im pretty sure the cpu fan runs constantly, andthe temp changes instantly from around 34 to 48

Quiet Life 22:24 28 Jul 07

if your CPU fan runs at the same speed all the time the sensor is on the motherboard and activated through the fan connection. Could be labeled Fan 1 etc. Some motherboard sensors give similar wild variations and with the temperatures you indicate there is no cause for alarm.
Speedfan would use the same sensors so the readings should be as per your bios.

Stuartli 23:00 28 Jul 07

It would be strange for a CPU to show such instantaneous large variations in Celsius temperatures and with constant figures involved.

The sensor itself is most likely faulty.

My AMD Athlon 3200+ runs at a steady 57-62 degrees C depending on the ambient temperature - in very hot weather, if I retain the CPU fan on minimum setting, it rises to about 67-68 degrees C.

The cut off point in the Bios is set at 70 degree C as a safety margin; the Athlon's maximum temperature rating is 85 degrees C.

jay9614 06:39 29 Jul 07

can i replace the sensor or is it part of the motherboard circuitry? can the dodgy readings affect performance?

Probabilitydrive 07:17 29 Jul 07

The most accurate readings about your CPU temperature is found in the BIOS. I would double check the fluctuations there.

Another little monitor software which you can use to confirm the consistency of CPU temperature click here

€dstowe 09:08 29 Jul 07

The thermal inertia offered by the large lump of metal attached to your CPU (the heatsink) will prevent all rapid fluctuations in temperature. Any changes will be slow.

If you do see rapid changes then either the sensor is caput or the heatsink is not attached to to the CPU - which I doubt as the machine seems to be running OK.

Be careful about becoming overly concerned about things like this. If your CPU overheats it will shut down to protect itself. Similarly with other devices.

Remember your computer is for doing useful things with, not an end in itself to be watched and mollycoddled waiting for things to go wrong.

BTW, be very careful about replacing the thermal grease. Definitely a case of "less is more". Only an extremely thin layer is required to give the necessary close contact between the CPU and the heatsink.

Quiet Life 11:42 29 Jul 07

Probalitydrive All this has been posted by jay9614 before and nothing new has come out of it second time round.
Core Temp. is what it says see below.
"Core Temp does not support anything which is not based on the 'Core' architecture, that's what the word "Core" is all about. Only CPUs based on
Core Duo/Solo and Core 2 Duo architecture are supported."
The sound advice given by £dstowe should be taken to heart by jay9614.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017