cpu temp to high

fire 21:41 20 Oct 03

i have an xp 2000 chip and changed the fan last week from the normal amd fan it came with to a larger one and heatsink. the thing is i used the paste the fan came with and according to the bios im getting 78-83 deg on cpu. could it be that thepaste is not making a good contact or is the temp in the bios reliable for reading.......

LastChip 22:08 20 Oct 03

It's not over the limit, but close to, assuming your measuring in degrees C.

I think for your CPU, the heatsink should be "Copper Backed"; is it?

You need to make sure you have fitted it around the right way as well. Although it's difficult not to, it is possible, and will result in a very poor contact with the core of the CPU. It can also result in chip damage to the core. The step on the heatsink, must fit over the raised end of the CPU socket. Quality thermal paste is a must, and the quality varies from supplier to supplier.

Providing you have a reasonable motherboard, the BIOS temperatures are close enough to be acceptable.

I am writing this reply on an XP 1900, and to give you some idea to go by, the current temperature is 46 C or 114 F, which ever you prefer!

hugh-265156 22:08 20 Oct 03

was the temps ok before you changed the fan/heatsink?

you may have use too much or to little paste or not clipped the heatsink on correctly,its easy done.

instructions for application of thermal gloop click here

mark e 22:12 20 Oct 03

As huggy says I made the mistake of putting the heatsink the wrong way roung and got very high temps. turned it the right way and now 35c

fire 22:48 20 Oct 03

everything was fine until i replaced the heatsink and fan but i think its the right way round and i have just bought some copper paste .....so hopefully it will bring the temp down

DAG88 23:01 20 Oct 03

why don't you just put the old fan back in?

hugh-265156 23:07 20 Oct 03

be sure to remove the old paste from the cpu and HS with some isopropyl alcohol(from a chemist) and a cotton bud before appling any new stuff.

remove the motherboard from the case when fitting the heatsink,its easier to see then if its fitting flush to the cpu and not raised slightly at one side which sometimes happens.

imarcus2 23:46 20 Oct 03

A similar forum on the AMD site opines that 46 --> 52 deg.C is an 'average' figure, with the BIOS being set to cut out at 70 --> 75 deg.C.

My own thread on this site suggested similar figures last week-end.

The AMD 'build' manual states the maximum permissable die tem is 90 deg.C.

I had been worried that mine sometimes peaked at 63.5 deg.C. I fitted an AMD Cooler heatsink and fan, and this reduced the cpu temp to 46 -- 54 deg.C., and it falls to ~ 46 deg.C with the side of the case taken off.

Hope this helps to set a ballpark figure for you.

Wonder why AMD don't publish some guidelines??

hugh-265156 00:15 21 Oct 03
  imarcus2 00:31 23 Oct 03

tx HuggyG71

After a bit of grovelling around in the FAQs, i came across the quote, which paraphrased, suggests that the "normal athlon CPU temperature [not system temperature] is 60 to 65 degC, or lower".

"meltdown seems to be given as 90 degC, and the turn off temp is variably put at between 75 and 85 degC.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5