CPU Temp 55C to hot

u2 02:44 15 Oct 03

Another question for ya all .When i run the Cpu AthlonXP2000 at full whack when I play fs2004 it crashes at 55C .I have to reduce the mzh to 100 instead of 133 mzh.

Ive bought a new fan which should be ok for Cpu,s up to 3 g, .The temp at one time went as 93C but that was about 5 months ago is the Cpu on the blink ?.I feel cheated not being able to run the CPU at full speed.Is there anything I can do to reduce the temp apart from buying another fan which I cant afford.Cpu temp now 49C and its ok.

Gongoozler 09:28 15 Oct 03

Hi u2. 55C isn't too hot for a processor, but it's a good idea to keep it below 50C if you can. You say that a new heatsink is too expensive. An AMD recomended heatsink for your Athlon XP2000 is £5.57 inc vat from E-Buyer click here. They also have a case fan for under £1. I wonder if you damaged your processor when it severely overheated, or if your motherboard chipset or graphics card is getting hot. A case cooling fan could help keep everything in the case a bit cooler.

3Toed 11:24 15 Oct 03

Hi U2,I agree with all Gongoozler says,i seem to remember reading somewhere on the Amd site those processors are made to go to at least 70c and above ,but dont quote me on that-you should check there site for clarification.As mentioned above about another case fan could help,but i wonder if a different airflow configuration may help reduce temp as well?(re-siting fans,and making the best of inflow and outflow on them?)

u2 07:35 16 Oct 03

Cheers guys I already have 3 fans in the case.I think gonzooler may be right about the CPU being damaged.I dont have a Credit card to buy stuff on the net .The fans are situated on the back and side and on the CPU /the system temp is normally below 30C which is ok I think.any If the CPU is damaged would it stop working straight away or over a long period of time?
Any more suggestions would be grateful also the new fan I was assured should be able to keep it cool its supposed to be up to 3gh.

The Spires 08:35 16 Oct 03

Really you need a flow of air across the components or you end up with hot dead air spots, a fan at the front pulling air in & ideally ventilating your hard drives in the process in & one at the rear removing old air, & perhaps a side one as you mentioned you have removing hot air from the CPU.

Gongoozler 09:07 16 Oct 03

Damaged cpu may stop working, or may just change it's characteristics a bit, depending on the type of damage. To use a crashed car analogy, the damage may just be cosmetic, may make the steering a bit wobbly or may make the the car undrivable.

Bruce_Lee 09:19 16 Oct 03

Just out of interest what thermal paste/pad did you use to attach the heatsink? Try using Arctic Silver III (if you don't already). I always find that it can knock a good few degrees off the temperature.
If you still have problems then you can get a decent HSF like Spires Falcon Rock II for just over £10!

Bruce_Lee 09:23 16 Oct 03

Also you stated that the computer crashed at 55C. Is that the actual CPU die temperature or the temperature of a sensor on the case, as it seems much to low to cause your computer to crash.

The Spires 10:34 16 Oct 03

Out of interest I use this fan mounted on my outdoor driveway using 10 feet resin pack floor bolts to maintain rigidity and reduce vibration. click here Along with ducting click here which keeps the noise to a tolerable level indoors, the only issue is the need to have the pc well ventilated to avoid implosion of windows doors etc. Hope this helps. ;-)

Gongoozler 10:41 16 Oct 03

Hi The Spires. I think that is a bit excessive unless you are into serious overclocking!

mark e 10:42 16 Oct 03

I think he's lost in space.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…