cpu speeds

tony tony tone 04:02 08 Sep 03

is there a way of finding my actual processor speed (not what it is running at)without taking the back cover off my pc and removing the processor.

JIM 06:52 08 Sep 03

right hand click on my computer,select properties.

The Sack 10:05 08 Sep 03

WCPUID click here it show the FSB speed, mulitiplier etc as well.

Switcher 10:15 08 Sep 03

Sorry to appear stupid, but what is the difference between "actual speed" and "what it is running at"

Rocket0612 10:42 08 Sep 03

although you may have for example a 2 gig processor, you can adjust the speed ti runs at, you can turn down the speed or even turn it up (although turning it up won't make it run that much faster and is also generally not recommended). You can do this in the BIOS.

Switcher 10:53 08 Sep 03

If you adjust the speed on a processor then surely its new speed is its "actual speed" and also "what its running at" are these not the same thing

Peverelli 11:21 08 Sep 03

Go back to the distant past when we had LPs instead of CDs. Their 'actual' speed was 33rpm but you could play them at 45rpm ('what it's running at') if you felt you needed to hear the songs play faster.

temp003 11:27 08 Sep 03

Yep, I think by "actual speed", tony tony tone means the factory native settings. The CPU was sold as, say, a 2.4GHz out of the box (tony tony tone's "actual speed"), but on the computer, it may be overclocking at 2.5GHz, or even underclocking.

The Sack's suggestion of wcpuid should be able to tell the factory settings.

Switcher 14:26 08 Sep 03

Ok I understand now, actual speed means design speed, sorry to sound pedantic I thought I was missing something.

tony tony tone 21:06 08 Sep 03

thanks for the responses the problem im having is that i sent the pc to a shop for a repair as the pc keep crashing and losing programs,when the pc was returned i noticed the processor was showing different (the processor is meant to be athlon 2400xp yet its showing athlon 1800xp)if i return it to the 2400 setting in the bios the pc will run ok at first then after a while will dump the physical memory.

Switcher 21:34 08 Sep 03

I believe that the Athlon naming system does not in fact refer to the clock speed is it possible that an Athlon 2400 really runs at 1800 MHz

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…