cpu speed not what it should be

mattbell1975 14:34 07 Mar 03

hi i have a laptop with a celeron 1000 in it running 256 mb 30 gb hdd and win xp i noticed that it wasnt actually performing that well so looking in system details it was reading the cpu speed as 440 mhz then second time 560 mhz but this should be 1000 mhz ive never been into setup on my laptop and nobody else has used it at all any ideas why????? and what i should do??? i went into setup to have a look if anything was out of place but the cpu speed is reading at 1000 mhz in setup????? help .....

sarah01 22:49 07 Mar 03

Funny you should say this, as my laptop also does the same. I have an AMD athlon 1.3 GHz, and sometimes when I go into control panel, and look under system, it reads less than 1.3. But if I close the box, and go back in, it is often back at 1.3. I'd also like to hear any ideas...

Sarah

woodchip 23:04 07 Mar 03

If it's a new computer it may be something to do with speedstep, it varies it's speed on demand

woodchip 23:05 07 Mar 03

PS it's to save demand on battery

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…