CPU speed halves on a reboot

nottmsteve 21:31 22 Feb 03

I've an Athlon 1ghz CPU on a ECS K7VMA m/board thats been happily running XP Pro for nearly a year. Over the last 2 weeks, on reboot it's been really crawling along.There have been no hardware changes at all. I wasn't too worried as I intended a reformat anyway, but it's still happening after a nice clean install on a clean drive. When I go to System Properties it shows the CPU as an AMD 501mhz - despite when the PC powers up it shows as an Athlon 1ghz. If I leave the PC off for a while, I can turn back on and it's fine, showing as 1ghz as it should, but every reboot results in exactly the same.
Any ideas/advice would be greatly appreciated before I go nuts.

AMD 4 ever 22:56 22 Feb 03

Is this a self build?
take note of psu rating, also look at the cpu fan make sure it is still in fwo...check for heat related probs.. worth perhaps clearing the cmos...soometimes kick start it.

professor 01:48 23 Feb 03

id look at your jumper settings for your CPU sometimes what happens is the auto-detect buggers up and you simply need to switch from the auto detect method to the manual setting for your CPU instead.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Apple Event as it happened | Apple October Event live blog: Apple unveils new MacBook Pro at…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Graeme Messer's exhibition aims to challenge fears and insecurities

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…