CPU running at 100%... performance pb...

Rico2005 23:52 04 Sep 05

Hi
I am running a small workstation XP SP2 Home Ed on a PIV 2Ghz Intel -1.5GB RAM experiencing CPU performance usage on a 100% scale on an ongoing basis.

You know the drill meaning I ran an AS test on regular basis, clean-up temps files and no dirty laundry in there, but system is too slow to respond... could be related to the Antivirus?

Can anyone advise me on how to scale it down please? Definitely need help to improve overall system experience coz I may end ship it out of the window...

Would you consider wise flashing the bios (to terminate the bugger)?

Thanks so much,
Rico

VoG II 23:55 04 Sep 05

Have you been using Bootvis or another trace program? If so

Start, Run, type

regedit

and click OK.

Navigate to the folowing key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\WMI\GlobalLogger\Start

Right click it and choose Modify.

Change the value from 1 to 0.

Close the registry editor and reboot.

Rico2005 00:04 05 Sep 05

Cheers VoG,
I use Yahoo AntiSpy only... no specific tracer
I tried the drill u gave me no hkey found for Glo logger

any other clues?

Thalmus 00:46 05 Sep 05

Locate the process that is using the cpu in the processes tab of task manager, right click it and set its priority to low and see if that helps

ACOLYTE 09:09 05 Sep 05

Im not sure on this but i think that the system idle cpu usage is 100% by default and goes down as things start to use the cpu.

Rico2005 10:10 05 Sep 05

Hi Thalmus

Thank you...yes I manage processes using Task-man however lowering priorities does not work well ending up closing apps...who u know what svchost stands for? i have about 20 of these on screen not using CPU tough... I will try to lower apps to see if it helps once again...I remove messenger..it is improving...any other clues...mayshould I change CPU you reckon?

Cheers

Rico2005 10:13 05 Sep 05

Hi acolyte,

Thank you. Well r us sure of this coz mine seems to go the other way around....idel is about 0% as on task man screen...what is it on your side?

Cheers

ACOLYTE 18:53 05 Sep 05

My system idle prosess in task manager goes between 98/99 thats 2% cpu usage the more the cpu gets used the lower the idle prosses gets.7% cpu usage is around the 95 mark for system prosses,on mine anyway,lol.

unbent 22:15 05 Sep 05

hi rico...svchost is Microsoft Service Host Process, this is a system process belonging to the Microsoft Windows Operating System which handles processes executed from DLLs. This program is important for the stable and secure running of your computer and should not be terminated.

Rico2005 11:08 06 Sep 05

cheers ACOLYTE,
well I am stuck with an Idle P at almost 0% so according to your calculation i am on a 100% cpu stack....oki doki you validated my prob... thanks for your input!

Rico2005 11:11 06 Sep 05

Hi unbent
Thk for that i was nit sure what it refers to. Would you which dll is managed under the svchost coz I am ending having about at least 20 of these in the task man... well as you said can not do much about it... great input

Do you how I can get the full list of programm used/running under the task man? I am on a discovery field here...Thanks in advance

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…