cpu running at 100 % any ideas!

shadow_v 17:41 30 Jun 04

i turned my comp on to find it running slow and checked ctrl-alt-del and found cpu runnin at 100% and explorer.exe was runnin at 99, turned on just now and dwwin.exe is at 99. any ideas.......

hugh-265156 17:59 30 Jun 04

dwwin.exe is dr watson an error reporting tool built into windows.

does a restart help any?

if its win xp have a look in start/control panel/administrative tools/event viewer, click the application and system tabs and look for any errors listed and click them for more info maybe may also help.

sometime spyware can pretend to be genuine windows services and processes and slow the system down, have you run a check for spyware and viruses and is windows all up to date?

try system restore to a date all was well if all the above doesnt help maybe.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:02 30 Jun 04

Anti Spyware :-
Spywareblaster click here
Adaware click here
Spybot S&D click here
a2 click here
CW Shredder click here

shadow_v 17:16 01 Jul 04

tried ad-aware and still same and cannot load sys restore.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:55 01 Jul 04

run spybot

shadow_v 13:31 04 Jul 04

in the end i rebooted whole system as could not run nething and now cpy at 4% but should system idle be showing 97 next to it?

hugh-265156 23:23 04 Jul 04

hi shadow_v. so you ran all the checks for spyware and viruses and was all clear yeah? and in the end a restart sorted it. sounds like explorer hung to me for some reason. check event viewer for more info maybe.

even when your computer is not running applications the cpu is always running at full tilt, this will be shown as 'system idle process' in task manager and is quite normal for this to read 95 -100 % when no other visable tasks are running.

waggle your mouse about or open a file, run a program etc and you will see this percentage drop and the task in hand or explorer now show an increase in cpu time they are using instead.

if all the checks for nasties came back clear then i would make sure windows is all up to date click here make sure you have up to date drivers for all your hardware and patch any software to the latest versions if you can. as above, also check out event viewer and follow up any errors listed here also.

shadow_v 11:49 05 Jul 04

thank you for your detailed explinations.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…