Cpu running at 100%

SB23 19:36 16 Dec 05

I've got lots of problems with my pc at the mo,not to mention my HD,but the pc went nuts last night,while I was playing a cd.All of a sudden it froze,task manager came up about 15 mins later,and the only program that was taking alot of the cpu was "gcasServ.exe".Have looked today and it seems that this is part of Microsoft Antispyware,but surely it shouldn't take over like it did last night,or as discussed in my other post,is it because my HD is dying.
Pc has been ok today.....SB23

woodchip 19:46 16 Dec 05

gcasServ.exe belonging to the Giant/Microsoft AntiSpyware product. Remove it from Add Remove Programs in Control Panel

dunc1234 19:47 16 Dec 05

if its not infected with spyware or viruses,it sounds like a basic crash on your system, if the pc restarts and runs ok, then yes its crashed, it could well be your cd drive failing which has caused the problem, this can cause all sorts of weird problems, one i had caused yahoo messenger to crash although everthing else was fine! strange but true.

i wouldn't trust m'soft to get anything right after service pack 2 for xp, try uninstalling antispy and loading up "Spybot search and destroy" which is free.

gudgulf 19:47 16 Dec 05

Are you running the latest version of AntiSpyware?

There have been reports of high cpu usage and the creation of large (more than 2GB!) error log files in AntiSpyware earlier versions.Try a forum or Google search on the subject.

Check that you have version 1.0.701

If not download the latest version and reinstall it.

SB23 20:02 16 Dec 05

Yes I have got the latest version,no spyware etc,etc,will just have to keep an eye on it.

SB23 20:04 16 Dec 05

Just had a look at the cpu,its running now at 3%,thats more like it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…