cpu running at 100%

katedi 01:32 12 Sep 03

Hi Everyone,
Like an thread earlier this year, my cpu has started running at 100% -even with no programs running and the systray emptied.
I have XP pro and have checked task manager and it simply shows "system" as using the cpu, but does not give details.
I have downloaded a trial version of sysinternal's "process explorer" but I dont have enough expertise to identify applications from the catchy names like "\Device\NetbiosSmb". I have done a virus scan and there is no virus and I have used "hijackthis" and can't see any nasties in the list.

Has anyone had this and solved it without a reformat or O/S reinstall. I am keen to find a fix because I have a laptop with desktop chip and it is starting to run very very hot.
regards
kate

JIM 03:04 12 Sep 03

in case you may have a virus or trojans that your virus scanner has not picked up,suggest you do a online scan with the following. Easy to follow after accepting poss file download

click here

muppetmark 08:43 12 Sep 03

Download Spybot S & D from click here in case you have any spyware on your system, install, update and run it to clear any spyware it finds.

I would also suggest you download and run an antitrojan scanner such as swatit from click here where they have a free version or TDS-3 from click here which is a free trial but if you want access to automatic updates you have to buy the program but it can be updated manually.

Not all A/V detect trojans.

katedi 13:00 12 Sep 03

Hi People,
I ran the housecall virus checker that was suggested, and it did not find anything ( I have a full regularly updated version of Norton on board), but all through the scan the system was at 100% but when it ended the system was back to normal 6-10%
This also happened when I used symantec's win doctor. The "benefit" lasted until the next reboot and then it was up to 100% again. Win doctor only found two disconnected shortcuts.
Thanks also for Spybot info - I have run that an eliminated a number of spy cookies, but the system was running at normal rates before I did this.
I am going to try a reboot now to see what % usage I get.
thanks for the help so far
kate

-pops- 13:06 12 Sep 03

Are you running GoBack? This can cause behaviour like you are experiencing, I understand as can Windows Indexing Service.

JIM 13:26 12 Sep 03

Have a think back to when your problem was noticed.If you can remember any software that you installed or downloaded,do a uninstall to see if any change take place.

Taking it for granted that you have not added any hardware of late.

katedi 23:24 12 Sep 03

I did wonder if it might be goback. Its a laptop so it is not a hardware problem.
If it is goback how does a windoctor or housecall scan correct the problem, I wonder?
regards
jate

-pops- 06:23 13 Sep 03

The way to stop GoBack doing this is to remove GoBack.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…