CPU Properties

maxxi 20:45 13 Jan 03
  maxxi 20:45 13 Jan 03

Recently loaded a program called AIDA32, suggested in Daily Telegraph CONNECTED section. This program assesses your computer and flags up any problems with it and suggests improvements. It tells me that "..no CPU L2 cache found. This may cause performance penalty." It also says that SSE is not supported and suggests upgrading CPU to speed up applications optimized for SSE. Also says to install more memory to improve application performance.
I have a Gigabyte GA-5AX m/b with 256Mb of memory and a AMD K6-2 500MHz processor. Yes I know it's slow but does OK for what I want.
What's it all mean, please?

Timeforabeer 21:43 13 Jan 03

Hi maxxi..

I think that the cpu that you have has L1 cache but not L2. As I understand it,this is a small amount of memory which is built into the cpu to speed up data transfer of what the cpu thinks it will need next from programs. I am sure someone wiser will put you right. I have no idea what SSE is. I may have heard of it under a different name.

Gongoozler 21:47 13 Jan 03

maxxi, this program is effectively telling you that you don't have an Athlon or pentium 3! "no CPU L2 cache found".

Some motherboards have Level 2 cache. The processor can have a small amount of memory for very fast access to data that may be needed during processing. This is Level 1. The motherboard may have some similar rapidly accessible memory - Level 2 cache. The main RAM is then used for data that is not needed as quickly.

SSE is a processing technique a bit like MMX click here.

If your computer is doing what you want, don't worry. If you want better performance you will have to get a new motherboard, processor and probably a few bits more. The AMD K6-2 is a very competent processor. Unfortunately these analysis utilities often frighten people into thinking they have problems when they don't.

woodchip 21:56 13 Jan 03

I have the CPU you have in my second computer it does not have L2 cache only L1 As Gongoozler say's L2 cache is on the motherboard go into cmos setup and make shure that all cache is enabled save settings and exit

maxxi 22:00 13 Jan 03

Thx for your responses. As you say, if it ain't broke......leave well alone. Appreciate what you say re. utilities progs. frightening folk. It works OK so either stay with what I've got or upgrade completely.

VoG™ 22:04 13 Jan 03

PanicWare!

Worf100 22:47 13 Jan 03

If you need info on your CPU try click here
.... note it's a 5.44mb file.
I agree 100% with Gongoozler. The only suggestion I can make is to upgrade to the latest BIOS, drivers etc (but that can have it's own problems)Try click here (UK site)
PS Why read the Daily Telegraph when you have PC Advisor ?

DieSse 00:46 14 Jan 03

Goongozlers analysis is spot on.

Do not even think about trying to upgrade your BIOS (even if there is an upgrade).

Do not enable Level2 cache in your BIOS if your motherboard does not have any.

Gongoozler 09:44 14 Jan 03

According to GigaByte click here the GA-5AX does have 512KB cache memory, so you should be able to enable it in BIOS. This is enabled or disabled under the "BIOS FEATURES SETUP" menu where you can enable or disable the CPU internal cache (Level 1 cache) and the CPU external cache (level 2 cache), but only change the settings if you like experimenting with your computer, the improvement is unlikely to be so great as to warrant fiddling with the settings if you are nervous about upsetting a stable computer setup.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…