CPU processer jumps to 100% whenever i do anything

spencer boy 11:26 29 Apr 04

Hi all,

Having problem with my cpu percentage. Basically when nothing is running the cpu is very low but once i do anythiing (run any process, wriggy the mouse, changing windows, trying loading something up)- the process jumps up very high until the cpu is at 100% (and slows the system down) . Once process is finished the cpu returns to a lowish state. This happens in safe mode and when i close all processes down. I have done usual msconfig, removing new installed programs, spybot, ad-aware, stinger, anti-virus sweep (pc-cillin), recently defraged and disk clean up. Applications have 'run in seperate memory' ticked and RAM has loads of space left.

Even though i have done this i am a bit worried that something is still on my pc causing this but i can't find it. Could this problem be caused by hardware problems (i have had recent problems with device drivers for onboard graphics card which hopefully will be sorted out with a new graphics card shortly) but the cpu problem is recent and driver problem old.

Any suggestions on what i could also run that can pick up anything else that's on my pc would be great. Or ideas on what i can do or what else could be causing this?

Run P4 2.8 using XP.

Thanks.

anon1 12:28 29 Apr 04

turn of the system tools that allow you to see this event. Stop worrying about it and trust the fact that your chip is working well. Why shouldn't it go to 100% usage after all it is being told to process.

spencer boy 13:13 29 Apr 04

Not exactly the best piece of advice ever given was it?? You don't seriously think by moving your mouse that it should use 90%+ of a P4 2.8 processer? Or it takes 10 good seconds to swap to another window? Or if you kick off an application have to wait 30-40 seconds for it to load - wher e it used to work instantly??

Can anyone suggest a proper idea...

Jacksons 22:04 29 Apr 04

Hi,
You do not say what M/B & Memory you have, I was running a P4 2.4 & a gygabyte M/B & had similar problems, I eventually discovered that the processors come in a variety of bus speeds, if the processor bus does not match the M/Board speed, it can cause the memory bus to run at the default setting, which is usually the minimum...this can cause a bottleneck in the flow of info...thus causing the processor to run in overtime. or at 100% or near it.
Read your M/B manual, & take the heat sink off the processor & you will find the processor bus speed printed on the top. The manual will confirm the processor bus compatible.

spencer boy 01:08 30 Apr 04

Would something happen that would change the settings as the system worked fine and then it didn't. I will check this info out but i would guess it is correct.

gudgulf 01:38 30 Apr 04

click here

I realise that your virus scanner would have picked up that particular virus--but maybe a highjack this log posted here might reveal the culprit.

spencer boy 10:52 30 Apr 04

cheers gudgulf.

johnnyrocker 10:55 30 Apr 04

might system restore help?

johnny.

spencer boy 11:09 30 Apr 04

Hi, I disabled my system restored thinking that something on my d drive would be causing the problem. After reboot it improved slighty. I did last night remove java runtime enviroment which i installed recently but i haven't been able to see if it'd made any difference yet.

spencer boy 23:18 03 May 04

Hijacked posting:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.97.7
Scan saved at 23:16:45, on 03/05/2004
Platform: Windows XP SP1 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\PC-cillin 2003\Tmntsrv.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\PC-cillin 2003\tmproxy.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\PC-cillin 2003\PccPfw.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SOUNDMAN.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SOINTGR.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\hpztsb05.exe
C:\Program Files\BroadJump\Client Foundation\CFD.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\PC-cillin 2003\pccguide.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\PC-cillin 2003\PCCClient.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\PC-cillin 2003\Pop3trap.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\SISTRAY.EXE
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE
C:\Documents and Settings\Spencer O'Toole\Desktop\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = click here
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SiSUSBRG] C:\WINDOWS\SiSUSBrg.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SoundMan] SOUNDMAN.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroCheck] C:\WINDOWS\System32\NeroCheck.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SO5 Integrator Pass Two] C:\WINDOWS\SOINTGR.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPDJ Taskbar Utility] C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\hpztsb05.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [BJCFD] C:\Program Files\BroadJump\Client Foundation\CFD.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [pccguide.exe] "C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\PC-cillin 2003\pccguide.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PCCClient.exe] "C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\PC-cillin 2003\PCCClient.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Pop3trap.exe] "C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\PC-cillin 2003\Pop3trap.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SiS Tray] C:\WINDOWS\system32\SISTRAY.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATIPTA] C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
O16 - DPF: {9F1C11AA-197B-4942-BA54-47A8489BB47F} (Update Class) - click here
O16 - DPF: {D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000} (Shockwave Flash Object) - click here

can anyone help???? does this look ok?

muppetmark 08:01 04 May 04

looking at your log you could perhaps have a graphics driver related problem

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SiS Tray] C:\WINDOWS\system32\SISTRAY.EXE relates to Sis graphics,

System Tray icon for SiS based graphics

and

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATIPTA] C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe

Quote Control panel for the ATI series of video cards allowing access to such features as display resolution, colour depth, etc. Available via Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> Display. Some users may need it if they have optimised their settings.

Information from click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…