CPU Overtemp

  Marko797 18:23 24 Nov 07
Locked

I keep getting the above message from time to time, and advised to press F1 to continue.

Also *occasionally* my grafs pack up at inconvenient points in a game (FEAR Perseus Mandate - no bugs in the game, runs great normally, so have eliminated this). It's a rare occurrence on the grafs, but has happened twice in the past fortnight. It results in me having to restart, but then I also have to reset resolutions. Grafs card is an ageing X800XT Plat Edition, and running XP SP2 on Athlon 3400+.

Is this a warning that certain components are on their way out, or is it just a case of check fans, de-fluff and de-dust, by way of elimination?

  Gongoozler 19:40 24 Nov 07

Open the box, check that the fans are running freely, remove dust from between the fins of any heatsinks, especially the cpu heatsink. If you can't get to clean between the fins any other way, remove the 4 screws holding the fan to the heatsink, clean between the fins, then refit the fan. Some people will advise against using a vacuum cleaner to do this, but in many years of messing about with computers, I have never had a problem doing this.

  brundle 19:50 24 Nov 07

Run Speedfan, CPU temp should be less than 65-70 C click here

  Marko797 10:05 25 Nov 07

all seems ok on the inside gongoozler, & have dl the speedfan, brundle. I think I'll have to monitor and see how things go. thnx again.

  Marko797 10:54 25 Nov 07

can u tell me what the normal operating temp is/should be? I started at 32 deg, now at 34 deg after an hour.

  Totally-braindead 11:57 25 Nov 07

34 degrees is not very hot at all. Look here and see if your processor is listed click here

I assume its 34 degrees on idle or low load, what temps do you get under load such as when playing FEAR that would be more important.

  Marko797 12:37 25 Nov 07

yes agreed that wud be the acid test (running FEAR), & yes the temps are idle temps. I'll need to see how things progress. I'll report bk on any issues.

  Marko797 15:26 25 Nov 07

ran FEAR for 1 hour or so (lost track of time :)) n all seems OK. Temp still at 36.

  Totally-braindead 17:02 25 Nov 07

Have you cleaned it inside, if so perhaps that was the reason for the warnings and now everythings cleaned up its fine.
My 3500+ processor gets a lot hotter than that under load and I've seen no messages.

Only other suggestion I have is go into the BIOS and see if the CPU temp, which will be monitored there, is set too low. If it was then it certainly could do as you describe without actually getting too hot.
Or might it be the speedfan is incorrectly setup temperaturewise.

  Marko797 18:06 25 Nov 07

I'm going to monitor things b4 looking at the bios as things seem stable at the moment. Cheers.

  birdface 21:46 25 Nov 07

Have you tried Task Manager.Processes.Under CPU when you have nothing running system idle process should be showing about 97% all the rest the remaining 3% sometimes if you have a virus or trojan CPU will run about 100% all the time causing it to overheat and slow down.Is there any other program using a high % of the CPU.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now