cpu overheating!!!!

please help me somebody!!!!this is really annoying me.every so often the cpu overheating alarm on my pc goes off, the temp. its set to go off at is 140 degrees. even if i'm just writing some text in word with no other programmes running its gone off. i've fitted a new fan and it appears to be working ok, i've even took the side panels off the tower. the pc is only 8 months old, i'm running xp and am desperate to sort this out,
thanks in advance for any advice,

961 10:21 12 Aug 04

Which cpu?

Are you talking deg F or C?

How many fans has the system and are they all working? The basic is one over the processor, and one in the psu extracting out of the back, and one in the rear of the case, also extracting air. There may also be one in the front of the case pushing air in (this does not always result in a cooler system and may be absent) and there will probably be one on the graphics card

These fans should all be clean and working

Have you made any alterations to the BIOS settings of the temperature monitors?

Many AMD processors work at high temperatures but anything above 90 deg C will result in the system overcooking

It would be interesting to try a system audit with something like SiSoftSandra which will show temperatures together with fan speeds etc, and I believe XP system report will also give accurate temperatures

Smiler 10:43 12 Aug 04

There are some software cooling progs here click here
Try them out.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Surface PC live stream | Surface PC release date, price, spec rumours: All-in-one…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…