Cpu overclocking

midian 11:17 05 Sep 05

I have an AMD 64 3000+ on a gigabyte m/b (GA-K8NF-9) 600w psu, 512 ddr 400 ram, nvidia 6600gt g/card. Ive managed to overclock my cpu upto 1.94ghz, the clock frequency is 215mhz and v core is 1.75volts, just wondering if i could go any further as id like to get 2.0 gig, also on a seperate note, although my virtual memory is set to auto(windows sets its own parameters) yet i get games slowing down and locking up, i get back to desktop and it says memory is too low, ive tried upping the minimum but it doesnt seem to help.

S. Groves

dagwoood 15:07 05 Sep 05

midian, the games slowing and locking up is probably due to you only have 512MB of RAM. The slow down is most probably caused by you system using your virtual memory; upping the amount of virtual memory wont really have any effect.

You should consider some more RAM, another 512MB to take you up to a total of 1GB should be enough.

HTH, dagwoood.

midian 15:29 05 Sep 05

Ive always had 512 ram with little or no problems, could it be the fact im only using one 512 strip? the board is dual channel too

Totally-braindead 16:43 05 Sep 05

If you're having memory problem I'd find out what else is running in the background as I have 512mb and have no problem whatsoever running any games, even the latest ones. I think that its likely that there are a few programs running in the background using some of your memory hence your problem. You've a good spec PC and since there is no game that your system shouldn't be able to run at the moment I see no point in trying to overclock.

Kenneth-266656 17:20 05 Sep 05

I have 512 MB DDR synchronous - runs all I want although I'm no gamer. Have got FS 2002 on though and it runs that a treat. Wouldn't touch overclocking with a barge pole.

harps1h 18:36 05 Sep 05

possibly what was said above is correct but i have the same chip clocked at 224 X 9 giving a clock speed of 2.02ghz. this is with 1gb of ram in single channel mode as they are not matching sticks. i have no problem with lock ups. the card is the same and it is set at 1090 and 557. i have also downloaded coolbits 2 to change other settings on the card. looking at your thread i was wondering what kind of cooling is going on in there as heat will cause lockups also.

midian 18:55 05 Sep 05

I have a fan on the side of the case blowing cool air out, a case fan at back the psu has 3 big fans and the fan on the cpu is the one that came with the cpu (i.e a bog standard one), ive checked the cpu temp and its not gone above 48 degrees all day

Kenneth-266656 19:12 05 Sep 05

I would have thought that a CPU temp. of 48° was getting near the limit

Totally-braindead 19:17 05 Sep 05

Torwalker 48 degrees is nothing to worry about the processer will not be at risk of damage till it reaches 75 degrees. I still think that its programs running in the background thats stealing the memory if the lack of memory is whats causing these lock ups and I'm not sure if this is the case. Since you've already overclocked it I would suggest you reset everything to what its meant to be and see if that is stable.

Totally-braindead 19:33 05 Sep 05

Sorry should have said 70 degrees, I'm puzzled by one thing, according to the AMD website the Athlon 64 3000+ actually runs at 2000mhz so midian your PC should be running at 2 gig or near to it without over clocking. click here . Maybe I'm looking at the wrong processor.

midian 19:42 05 Sep 05

2 gig? are you sure? is it 939 pin or 754?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…