CPU or motherboard failure

Skyver 23:33 09 Dec 05

Are there any sure ways to differentiate between the two if you don't have a spare example of either to test the relevant components to hand....

phono 00:00 10 Dec 05

In the absence of substitutes, or expensive diagnostic equipment, the answer is no.

Do you get any POST messages or is it totally dead?

GaT7 00:16 10 Dec 05

there may be another way, but don't discount the beeps (or the lack of them) just yet.

Recently, I helped my brother diagnose a 'display' problem with his PC. We thought it may be the CPU/mobo/gfx card.

I found this troubleshooter click here (his mobo's manufacturer btw) which narrowed it down to the CPU, & it was spot on.

My bro (being my bro), decided that couldn't be the CPU & initially purchased a new mobo instead - he had the same problem. Next, a new CPU was ordered & fitted - it worked straightaway.

I'm not sure if it'll work for other setups, but apart from the specific jumper settings, everything else seems 'generic' to me. G

Skyver 10:03 10 Dec 05

Phono; the board was dead, no POST beeps, drives powering up/cd tray working but no actual activity - No Signal displayed on the monitor.

crossbow7; Thanks for that, good logical check list.

The problem is solved now, I took the CPU out of my own PC, stuck it in the PC I was working on and it fired up straight away; I'd ruled out PSU, memory and video by that time, but those last two items...you can never be sure...
Thanks for responses.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Battlefield 1 review: Destructive environments, phenomenal graphics and an emotional campaign make…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Microsoft HoloLens hands-on review

How to use System Preferences in macOS Sierra (and Mac OS X): Complete guide to personalising the…