cpu operating temperatures

imarcus2 15:41 18 Oct 03

I have an AMD Athlon 1700, and am finding that I need to have one of the tower case side panels off to keep its operating temperature to within 50 t0 55 deg.C. It has recently cutout and re-booted spontaneously at 62.5 deg.C, and the BIOS appears to be set with an upper limit of 60 deg.C. Cannot determine whether the CPU is running too hot, or the cutout temp is set too low. Any experience anyone?

Andy 999 16:04 18 Oct 03

Yea i used to have a crappy fan that i got with my mobo and it used to get to about 65 degrees. It is too hot and restarts to help prevent an overheat. I jus picked up a new fan for about 7quid and a better system fan and now my temperatures are a cool 40-45 degrees, which seems to do the trick. Jus pick up a new fan and see if it helps. ;-)

interzone55 16:13 18 Oct 03

Get yourself a copper bottomed CPU cooler, they're much more effective.

Athlons can safely run at 75°C, so don't worry about damage when it cuts out at 62°C, the BIOS setting is there because Athlons don't have the same level of thermal protection as P4s that throttle performance when they get too hot, so they run slower, but cooler.

imarcus2 16:22 18 Oct 03

tx Andy999 and Alan14, just the sort of info I am after, sounds like a new, and better specified fan is called for. The higher CPU temperature is not reflected in the system temp, which rarely seems to climb above 34 deg.C.

tx again, imarcus.

imarcus2 18:58 19 Oct 03

As a postscript -- have fitted an AMD Cooler [x-qtec], and the wind bond doctor programme records 28 deg.C for the system, and 48 deg.C for the CPU after several hours of operation.

Reckon I am happy again!

imarcus2 08:20 23 Oct 03

As a further postscript I picked up this AMD response in their FAQs section.

Extract from the FAQs document on the AMD site ? Oct 2003.

1.3 What is the maximum operating temperature for my AMD processor?
The maximum operating temperature of an AMD processor is determined by the processor's
Ordering Part Number (OPN). The OPN is located on the top of the processor.
Example: A X1800 D M S 3 C
The temperature is indicated by the third character from the right in the OPN and is denoted by
an S, T or V character. Current data for the AMD AthlonTM XP processor identifies the maximum
operating temperature as: V=85ºC, T= 90ºC, S = 95ºC.
Back to Index
Frequently Asked Questions
1.4 What is the normal operating temperature of my AMD processor?
The operating temperature of a system or processor is highly dependent on the characteristics
of the system as a whole and the combination of components that make up the system.
Consequently, the "normal" operating temperature will vary from system to system, depending
on each system's make-up. Some of the variables that affect the operating temperature of a
system are: case size, air flow characteristics, installed components, processor speed,
processor heatsink/fan solution, thermal interface material, power supply, voltage settings,
workload, and ambient air temperature.
An approximation to the typical reading from a BIOS or an external software utility is
expected to be around 60ºC-65ºC or lower.
Although "normal" operating temperatures are not specified for AMD processors, there are
maximum operating temperature ratings that must not be exceeded. The maximum operating
temperature of a processor may be determined by the processor's Ordering Part Number
(OPN), see also: What Is The Maximum Operating Temperature For My AMD
Processor?.
Note: The maximum operating temperature specification is based on a measurement taken
directly from the top center of the processor die. The temperature reported by a system's BIOS
might not reflect the true temperature of the processor if the measurement is taken from an
alternative location. Additionally, the reported temperature will be affected by the accuracy of
the thermal probe, hardware monitor, and analog to digital signal conversion. As a result, some
variance should be allowed when comparing the maximum operating temperature to the
temperature reported by the system's BIOS.

The Spires 08:34 23 Oct 03

CPU's do tend to show instability if they are run too hot (I do too), if you feel you can't rely on your CPU temp probe, using a decent heatsink, fans that blow and suck in the correct order etc & your system runs stable regardless of load I feel it's safe to assume all is well.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…