CPU AND MEMORY

Snrub 17:10 14 May 09

My CPU frequently runs at 100% when viewed in Taskmaster. I only have 512DDR Ram running XP3 and IE8.Start up takes ages with spy-bot running Teatimer.exe and Windows Update soaking up CPU 100% activity.
Would a memory upgrade make the CPU run less than 100% and therby speed up loading new processes?

chub_tor 17:18 14 May 09

I find Teatimer is a resource hog and have stopped using it with Spybot.

Diemmess 17:44 14 May 09

As well as chub_tor's advice the answer to your query about more RAM is yes.

The law of diminishing returns applies.
If you increase your RAM to say 1Gb there will be a useful improvement particularly when trying to run more than one application at a time.

Increase to 1.5 probably better still, but by 2Gb you will in normal circumstances see less and less improvement.

Do make sure that your motherbaord and system can take single strips, some will only take pairs, but if in doubt use Crucial's website to make a correct choice of more RAM.

SirMetal 20:28 14 May 09

It sounds as if your system is starving for ram.

feed it, it will act a lot better!

1gb should be fine.

SirMetal 20:55 14 May 09

Also you can use Ccleaner (Free) to clean up various parts of your computer as well as fixing your registry.

Registry mechanic (Not free) is also a good program, offering registry fixing and another good feature which disables various background services in order to make your computer run faster.

Look them up!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…