CPU Maxes out when downloading

Ronnie268 20:53 03 Nov 08

I have a Dell Inspiron 530 Desktop with

Core 2 Duo 2.66GHz and
2GB of 800MHz RAM

When I download anything, the CPU completely maxes out, both in uTorrent, Firefox, and DownThemAll.

I assumed that this was a virus, but scans with AVG Free 8, Spyware Terminator and Norton showed nothing.

Can you suggest what might be wrong and how to fix it?

Regards,

Ronnie268

woodchip 21:00 03 Nov 08

No Idea why you are having that problem I am on a HP laptop with mobile Centrino CPU XP home 1Gb ram with no problems like that

woodchip 21:01 03 Nov 08

No Idea why you are having that problem I am on a HP laptop with mobile Centrino CPU XP home 1Gb ram with no problems like that. CPU is a 2.13 Gb

Ronnie268 21:05 03 Nov 08

Recently started, used to work fine

woodchip 21:16 03 Nov 08

Have you tried going back with System Restore? It may have been a MS update that as been the problem

Ronnie268 16:54 04 Nov 08

I have now tried restoring after a failed update, which worked for 24 hours, then stopped again

birdface 16:57 04 Nov 08

Go into Task Manager and see what is using up most of the CPU.AVG 8 and Norton.Only supposed to have one Anti-Virus.between the two of them That will probably be the problem.

Rahere 17:01 04 Nov 08

Does this happen when you use IE or another browser Opera for example? FF can be a bit of a hog of RAM/CPU.....any plugins installed in FF?

Plus if you are using the connection for torrents don't forget you are usually sharing files with others both ways....could take some juice of your CPU too

Rahere 17:03 04 Nov 08

If you are using multiple scans then you will find a slow down but you say this started recently - any changes to your system in that time?

Ronnie268 17:25 04 Nov 08

I don't have both Norton and AVG, just used a Norton online scan to check AVG wasn't missing anything.

Happens in all browsers and in installers like Windows Live Messenger and Google Chrome, where there is something to download.

birdface 17:38 04 Nov 08

You will probably have to run the Norton removal tool to remove it properly.I have AVG 8 and it takes up a lot of my CPU and that is just opening different pages.If you have got it set to do an automatic scan .Stop it and run your scans manually.So if you go Into task manager.[right click toolbar.task manager]Processes under CPU what is using up most of the CPU,If nothing running System Idle Process should be showing about 97% and that is normal.problems with Virgin just now if you use them.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…