cpu info required

blueboy2uk 23:02 30 Apr 05

is it right that when i install a P4 cpu into a mother board that untill now has had a celeron cpu that i need to connect a extra cabel that gives the the new cpu an additional 12 volt that it needs and i will find a white 4 pin connector near the cpu mount and that there will be a spare connector comming from the power supply i have allready tried the new cpu but it would not boot up, i know for certain i have the right cpu and my mother board supports hyper threading, the cpu is a P4 2,8 prescott 533 front side bus, 478 pins, the mother board is a asrock M266a3.0x.

thanks

ade.h 23:35 30 Apr 05

If your motherboard supports the P4, it should have that extra connector. You'll need a PSU that is P4 compatible - post your make and model here.

Make sure that the BIOS is sufficiently uptodate for a P4 - check your revision number on the mobo manufacturer's website.

DieSse 23:55 30 Apr 05

No - the connector is not even supplied on some budget boards that will run P4s. As you will see from your manual.

The 12V auxiliary connector is to supply EXTRA power for the CPU.

If your PSU is 300W or less, it may be struggling to supply sufficient power.

As you know from your other query, your board should support a 2.8GHz P4(Prescott) if it's a model 266A 3.0 - Are you totally sure you have this and not the earlier model 266A? click here

gudgulf 12:52 01 May 05

click here good article about power supplies.There are plenty of links within it to help you. DieSse is right though and I've had a quick look at your motherboard spec.It indeed doesn't have the extra 12v socket but since it does support your cpu then it must be able to handle the current through the normal 20pin atx connector.Have a look at your psu..there should be a sticker on it that gives its power rating.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…