CPU High Usage & Poor Performance

jimforrest 01:16 11 Feb 15
Answered

Whilst I'm on PC Advisor (trying to sort another problem), I'll raise a problem with my own laptop that is very annoying. Its a Samsung running Win7 with 6gb ram and normally rockets along happily.

But every now and again, like right now, I hear the cooling fan running fast (unusual) and the thing almost grinds to a halt. Looking in the Performance pages, I notice the CPU usage is over 85% - and it's not doing anything! It's connected to the 'net, but not downloading or refreshing, and the email page is idle.

Looking at the Processes it shows 2 are hogging the CPU - spoolsv.exe (at around 55%), and svhost.exe (at 26%). All the others are at 2 or 3%.

The Disk graph shows up to 100% spikes every few seconds but the comp is effectively idle. I regularly run JRT, Hitman Pro, AdAware, Spybot and Malwarebytes. Anti-virus is Avast. Any ideas as to the cause and how I can stop it?

Belatucadrus 01:50 11 Feb 15

Check this out spoolsv.exe

jimforrest 02:44 11 Feb 15

Unfortunately that applies to all previous incarnations of Windows - but not Win7. There is no Services label under Administrative Tools - so I can't stop the Spooler (as required).

Daisy_Michael 07:08 11 Feb 15

Try removing the excessive apps from the start-up by following the guidelines:

1. Click on the Windows 7 start icon in the bottom left corner of your screen.
  2. Type MSCONFIG in the search box and then either press enter on your keyboard or double-click on the MSCONFIG program that appears in the search results.
  3. Windows 7 will launch Microsoft's System Configuration Utility. Click on the Startup tab.
  4. This takes you to a page with a list of "startup items." Startup items are programs that are automatically loaded every time you turn on your computer. Some startup programs are absolutely necessary, others are simply a waste of RAM.
  5. Click on the OK button.
  6. A message will pop up telling you that you must restart your computer before these changes will take effect. Click on "Restart" and your computer will automatically reboot.
  7. That's it! Your computer should now boot faster and crash less.

I simply can't trust any antivirus except the kaspersky, so give this a shot.

Sometimes the applications like SKYPE & Windows Updates (at the back-end) are responsible for slowing the things down.

Let me know if it helps.

Belatucadrus 11:51 11 Feb 15
  jimforrest 17:22 11 Feb 15

Daisy Michael - I did as stated but you didn't say whether to change anything before clicking ok. In fact Print Spooler doesn't seem to be on the list of Startup items.

Belatucadrus - Amazing! CPU usage dropped instantly to 3%! All I did was Stop, and then Start the Spooler. Will I have to do this every time my comp slows down or is there a fix?

Belatucadrus 18:36 11 Feb 15
Answer

As I understand once you've cleared the files from the Printers folder as shown in the first link it should be OK, how long for ? Who can say.

Apparently spooler can be a bit of a RAM hog and a suggested follow on was to delete all printers and then reinstall with the latest drivers. The effectiveness of this will obviously depend on how old your existing drivers are. If you already have the most up to date drivers not sure what if anything it would achieve.

jimforrest 18:57 11 Feb 15

Thanks Belatucadrus - I will monitor the situation and see what happens. For the moment though it looks like it's fixed.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5