cpu help

blueboy2uk 22:11 21 May 05

having got my computer as i want it i decided to fit a new cpu as the final touch the old one is a celeron 2800 not bad but hardly cutting edge, so off i goes and buys a P4 intel 2.8
ghz prescott 1mb cache 478 socket,533fsb, the other details on the box areproduct code bx80546pe2800esl 7d8, version c61899-001, skt478,

according to my motherboards specs online it should be ok, its a asrockM266A 3.0x i upgraded the bios to version 2.40 tried the cpu in the computer it started up ok but after the initial burst of activity the harddrive led went out, so i put the old cpu back in started up no probs, next someone on this site suggested that the power supply wasnt man enough to do the job and i must admit that it looked a bit puny there wasnt even a label on it so i had no way of knowing its output so i changed it with a hiper 525w before buying i checked with the supplier that it would be ok for the P4 and was told yes i fitted it and the same results as beforeand by the way the celeron works fine with the new power supply , someone else suggested that there is a extra 4 pin connecter near the cpu mount and i need to put extra power to run the P4 but then another person said there isnt a connector near the cpu mount for this use and they were right and that the extre power goes thru to the mount in the normal way,the only thing i can think of seeing my computer is set up under my stairs i took the tower to my kitchen table but i didnt connect any thing to it could it be that because the P4 is so much faster than the celeron that it fired up real fasti mean in about 10 secs but really i cant beleve it can be that fast, i know when i finally get it going i need to enable HDS as it will not show up on the listin the bios untill its fitted, do i have to start the computer and press F2 enable HDS before it will start up ok or do i need to get it started before doing this? this problem is bugging me now, i have checked and rechecked the details on the asrock site and i cant see that i have done anything wrong, there is a bit on there i dont understand on one of the pages it says first start it up with a northwood 2.4 intel processor then put in the prescott i cant imagin this making any difference as surely the northwood wont even fire up at all would it? and in any case i havent got a north wood sorry to be so long winded with this but i wanted to put all the facts on here.

thanks blueboy

ps do i need to do any other bios changes or other changes elsewhere to enable the P4 to run

woodchip 22:19 21 May 05

Have you tried clearing CMOS settings so it goes to defaults. Ether by jumper near Mobo battery or remove the battery for half hour

TomJerry 22:27 21 May 05

blueboy2uk 23:01 21 May 05

but according to motherboards web site there should not be any problem fitting this cpu at the end of the dsy if i need to fit another mother board i will but i am not going to until i have exhausted all options how will clearing the cmos resolve the problem

blueboy2uk 23:01 21 May 05

but according to motherboards web site there should not be any problem fitting this cpu at the end of the dsy if i need to fit another mother board i will but i am not going to until i have exhausted all options how will clearing the cmos resolve the problem

Completealias 23:24 21 May 05

The CMOS holds system setup information so by clearing it you will set it back to default

blueboy2uk 09:00 22 May 05

so that i inderstand it by clearing the CMOS all defults are reset then the computer will restart ok with the old cpu still installed then i can try the new cpu again if that does not work will i then have to buy a new mother board to resolve it what is the best one to get i dont want to spend more than £120 any ideas, i have a 80 gig hd, raedion 9600 pro graphics card, c media sound card, and 1 gig of memory installed .

woodchip 09:19 22 May 05

No clear the CMOS shut computer off, then fit new CPU and switch on

woodchip 09:24 22 May 05

The computer should be off to clear the CMOS

dan11 21:11 22 May 05

Any luck with clearing the cmos?

Unless you can beg, steal or borrow a northwood. I think you may have to bite the bullet and get a new motherboard. It will be a lot cheaper than buying a northwood.

At least then, you would have a mobo + cpu bundle you may be able to sell.

woodchip 21:29 22 May 05

For a Intel CPU you do have to have the small four wire plug connected for the CPU to work. If the Motherboard does not have this socket you will not get it to work

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…