CPU and Graphic card query

morkin 18:32 25 Sep 03

I have an Athlon 1333, 40 Gig hardrive, EPOX 8K7A+ DDR raid motherboard, with a 32MB Videologic vivid XS graphics card with 512K running windows ME. As most people, I am considering upgrading the system with faster CPU chip and better graphics card. Accoring to the Epox website my motherboard can take Athlon XP T -bred 2200. I have checked various sources and have found a good deal with the chip and fan combo. However how do you attach the fan to the power?. Will I notice any difference with this new chip -gamewise ?.

With the motherboard only supporting AGP4, if I get a newer graphics card I assume that the card will be handicapped by the motherboard.In this case is there any way which I can get the newer games running, you know the usual Doom 3, Half Life 2 ?. I am aware of the Direct 9 cards and note that all furture games will support this standard and I am concerned that this may mean that my system will not be able to run these games. What graphics cards would you suggest?. Are there any Direct 9 cards which will run the newer games on my set up?.

helmetshine 19:14 25 Sep 03

I'm running a AGP8 card in a AGP4 slot with no problems.From what i've read the difference AGP8 would make is minimal but,as i've never tried it,can't say for sure.As for which card,depends how much you're willing to spend. I'm running a Radeon 9800 Pro with 128 meg which costs about £300...a 9600 Pro will cost about the £130 mark.I have no experience of the Nvidia FX range so can't comment.One thing to remember tho is that if you go for something like the 9800 pro it needs to be connected to your psu as the agp slot doesn't supply enough power.When i contacted Evesham ,who supplied my PC,they recommended a 400 watt supply,so you need to check the rating of yours and may need to upgrade that as well

morkin 21:21 25 Sep 03

I was thinking of the 9600 Pro, as the standard versions do not seem that powerful. Do you know whether they require connection to the PSU?.

How do you connect the same to the PSU anyhow?. As you see I've never been inside a PC before.

thanks for the response

helmetshine 10:59 26 Sep 03

I believe the 9600 pro needs connecting to the psu as well.there's a connector on the board....just connect it to a spare lead from your psu,,,if you haven't got a spare it should come with a splitter anyway,but don't forget to check your psu is powerful enough cos if it's not your pc may not even boot

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…