CPU and Graphic Card query

morkin 18:29 25 Sep 03

I have recently obtained a somewhat "old " PC, according to current standards that is. Anyway I am a complete novice and would like your advice on the following

I have an Athlon 1333, 40 Gig hardrive, EPOX 8K7A+ DDR raid motherboard, with a 32MB Videologic vivid XS graphics card with 512K memory running windows ME. As most people, I am considering upgrading the system with faster CPU chip and better graphics card. Accoring to the Epox website my motherboard can take Athlon XP T -bred 2200. I have checked various sources and have found a good deal with the chip and fan combo. However how do you attach the fan to the power?. Will I notice any difference with this new chip -gamewise ?.

With the motherboard only supporting AGP4, if I get a newer graphics card I assume that the card will be handicapped by the motherboard.In this case is there any way which I can get the newer games running, you know the usual Doom 3, Half Life 2 ?. I am aware of the Direct 9 cards and note that all furture games will support this standard and I am concerned that this may mean that my system will not be able to run these games. What graphics cards would you suggest?. Are there any Direct 9 cards which will run the newer games on my set up?.

xania 22:29 25 Sep 03

To deal with tyhe fan power, you will see that the old fan was attached directly onto the motherboard - ll you need to do is plug the new fan in the same way.

So far as the card is concerned, so far as I am aware, any card will run on any mobo, but the best the card will ever do is the fastest the mobo supports. Most cards that support the latest DirectX should run all oyur games adequately, but the more on-board memory you can afford, the better. Suggest you cjheck out PC Advisor top 10 and make your own choice.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…