CPU getting seriously hot within seconds

X™ 17:54 25 Oct 09

Hi. My mum brought hime a computer from a collegue and asked me to take a look. It was shutting itself off.

I had a look and it cut off after a while and I check temps which were 95c!

The CPU fan wasn't spinning fast at all and was very noisy.

It is a very odd CPU, it's a P4 3.00GHZ, the same that was in my laptop, it is very small.

It had a weird heatsink & 80mm fan.

I replaced this and used a thermal sticker (would not recommend, it is SO sticky, but it is getting stupidly hot.

By the time you are in BIOS it is at 87C. A second later it's at 95.

It really is that hot, if you switch it off and touch the CPU it burns you.

Any ideas on this? I have no spare CPU to try, I have come to the conclusion it has had it.

Cheers.

Paul-1379466 18:23 25 Oct 09
  X™ 18:39 25 Oct 09

OK.

But I'm a bit confused, I don't think Arctic Silver will do anything really, it's getting too hot too quickly.

Thanks though.

I am Spartacus 18:42 25 Oct 09

Maybe the heatsink isn't making proper contact with the CPU?

X™ 18:43 25 Oct 09

I've got thermal pad stuff from PC world, it is making a very strong contact.

X™ 18:49 25 Oct 09

I'll try some thermal paste I have somewhere.

mooly 18:58 25 Oct 09

I would say it's either the CPU that is suspect or a faulty motherboard... maybe excessive voltage etc to the CPU.
Perhaps the fan problem has been a contributing factor, you say it is noisy... and poor cooling has fried the CPU over time leading to failure.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:10 25 Oct 09

A P4 Prescott should run at approx 55C
a Norwood at 30C

Clean the crap off the cpu properly before applying Artic silver click here

BRYNIT 19:15 25 Oct 09

I think I read somewhere that too much thermal paste, or the heatsink is not securely fastened could cause overheating.

X™ 19:18 25 Oct 09

I thank you guys.

I bought this thermal tape from PC World because I was lead to believe it was the new stuff all singing all dancing stuff.

It's absolutely useless.

It really is.

I've found some cheap old paste in a drawer and the temps without fan are down to 66c.

I have no Artic Paste but I have wet sanded the top of the processor and the heatsink to get them flat. I am going to apply more paste and see how it is. Then I will shop tomorrow for artic paste.

Then I will email PCWorld customer services and Akasa and tell them how absoultely useless their product is.

Thank you.

X™ 20:15 25 Oct 09

Sanding down the HS and CPU sorted an extra 15C out!

Thank you v. much for all your help1

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…