CPU Fans - Removable?

johndrew 11:38 26 Jun 07

Having looked at the fins in the CPU heat sink and seen the dust I have tried a paint brush and vacuum cleaner but still it is not possible to get it all out. However if I could remove the fan assembly it would make access so much easier.

Is is possible (and safe) to remove the four screws attaching the fan assembly to the heat sink and gain access in this way?

Should add the CPU is an AMD Athlon; I`m not certain if this is different to Intel.

Many thanks in anticipation.

Totally-braindead 11:41 26 Jun 07

Yes, its exactly as you say, remove the 4 screws and it just pops off, then when sone just screw it back on.
Taking the heatsink off is different as thats where the thermal paste is and it would need to be removed and renewed but the CPU fan just screws on and off no problem at all.

Totally-braindead 11:42 26 Jun 07

sone = done

johndrew 13:51 26 Jun 07

Many thanks for confirming that. I shall make the effort to do a good cleaning job on the heat sink finning shortly (when its cool). Pity the motherboard chipset and GPU fans can`t e treated the same way; life would be easier and the PC cooler!!

Gongoozler 14:25 26 Jun 07

Motherboard chipset and GPU fans can often (always in those I have experience of) be removed in more or less the same way, the fans are just smaller. Have a look at some of these: click here, click here, click here click here

johndrew 16:14 26 Jun 07

Interesting. I knew there were various fins and fans for GPUs of some types but not sure of mine. May well be worth removing the card and looking at some point.

The chipset fan and its shroud seem to be securely fitted to the motherboard at first sight - at least I think it`s the chipset fan - lower left, below the memory on an Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe motherboard(?). It certainly looks very flimsy and with my luck I would manage to stop it working!!

woodchip 16:19 26 Jun 07

Get a tin of compressed air and blow the muck out

Gongoozler 16:23 26 Jun 07

The chipset heatsink is almost certainly either glued to the chip or held down by screws. The fan, however is likely to be fixed to the heatsink fins by self-tapping screws.

Gongoozler 16:48 26 Jun 07

This picture click here shows 4 screws holding the fan cover down. Remove them carefully, and I suspect the fan will come away from the heatsink. Be careful, though, that you don't disturb any adhesive or compound between the heatsink and the chip, or you will have to re-apply the adhesive/compound.

johndrew 19:43 26 Jun 07

I`m not sure it would blow out as it appears a bit `sticky` and the paint brush bristles and a Dyson sucking wouldn`t move it.

johndrew 19:46 26 Jun 07

The picture is easier to see than the inside of the PC with a torch. Thanks for the help and advice, again when the PC cools down I`ll have a careful look and decide whether to attempt it or not.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac