CPU fan replacement

muddypaws 11:14 24 Feb 08

Win XP Home SP2
MB--Asus P4P800-X.
CPU Intel Pentium 4 2.4 alias Northwood A80532.
About once a month I have to remove my CPU fan and squirt with WD40 as it gets slightly noisy on start up. Noise wears off after about 30 seconds.
Tha fan is a Magic MGT 7012MS-A25. 12v 0.17 amp.
On the other side it states 'Silence Cooler Master'.
I can find some P4 2.4 fans on the web,ie click here but are the screw holes spacing all standard? And what does 'socket 478' mean?
Mine has a small white push on connector to the MB.
MB & CPU are working normally temperature wise so dont want to replace heatsink.
Apologies if this should be in Consumer Watch.
Thanks.

muddypaws 11:18 24 Feb 08

Apologies--have found some on eBay assumimg they are standard fit. Still like to know what 478 is.
Thanks.

Totally-braindead 11:26 24 Feb 08

478 is the type of socket it is. It is the type of socket on the motherboard that takes the processor. Socket 478 is what its called.

So if you wanted to put another processor into your motherboard as an example you would need to find a socket 478 processor, other socket processors wouldn't work.

Gongoozler 11:28 24 Feb 08

Socket 478 is a standard for a CPU with 478 pins.
CPU fans often get noisy at start-up when the bearings get tired. Measure the fan, and get one the same size. If the fan has 3 pins, one will be for reporting the fan speed to the motherboard, so to get correct operation you will need to replace it with one with similar connections. CPU heatsinks are so cheap, I often buy a new assembly and swap the fans.

muddypaws 11:34 24 Feb 08

Thanks all.
Looks as if my connector may be a TX3 type, but will check it next time I open up.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac