CPU Fan fell off

akzah 23:14 01 Jan 07

My newish computer (bought in Sept) is having a major problem.

After moving house there was a little bang when I was on the pc, I switched the pc off and checked inside and I was horrified to see the CPU fan had fallen out of place.

That connectors which keep it in place don't seem to work (or I can't get back in securely).

Am I just being an idiot and can't put them back on or has something broken, is this common any step guides I can follow?

Thanks

P.S I have built computers before but this one is just confusing me.

woodchip 23:18 01 Jan 07

Take it back to where you bought it from, as i do not know what type of fan or CPU. Socket A was clipped onto plastic hooks on the side of the CPU socket these may have broke off

Totally-braindead 23:20 01 Jan 07

Agree with woodchip, its less than a year old and if anything else is damaged it would be better to get them to fix it.

akzah 23:23 01 Jan 07

I got it from mesh, it was the cheapo warranty, dunno if that means I have to pay? anynbody have ideas if I do?

spuds 23:30 01 Jan 07
  akzah 23:38 01 Jan 07

will do, sent a email and will try again with this cpu fan in daylight. Will keep you posted.

Thanks

Totally-braindead 23:46 01 Jan 07

Regardless of whether it was a cheapo warranty or not it is still covered for a year under the Sale of Goods Act and the most it should cost would be the price of sending the computer back if you haven't chosen onsite warranty.

akzah 01:01 02 Jan 07

had a better look, and yes it seems the plastic hook on the mobo has snapped and thats why it does not stay in place.

Yes Totally-braindead I assume it would be those costs however £50 keeps coming to mind, not sure if it is that high!

terryf 01:04 02 Jan 07

You could also consider claiming off your house or removers insurance since it was damaged during the move? who packed and moved it?

akzah 14:10 02 Jan 07

I packed it, into the orginal mesh casing and it was secure and moved it in my car. However the fan falling ff did not occur till a few weeks of use after it.

spuds 14:43 02 Jan 07

Regarding claiming on insurance, many insurance companies now have a £100 excess, so in all possibilities, making a claim would not be cost effective or perhaps advisable.

Some credit card companies use to provide 'free' accidental cover, but even Barclaycard as now stopped this.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…