CPU Fan?

Dvorak 16:14 24 Jul 08

Hi,

I am currently converting my 1u server to a tower. Before, in its case, there was just 1 blower fan through the whole, flat thing, which went straight through the CPU. In my new tower, I will have one case intake fan at the bottom front, an extraction fan at the top back (below PSU, to create a current, and a PSU fan.

My CPU (P4 3.0ghz) has a massive heatsink on (3"x3"), but no fan. Do I need one?

If so, how would I go about choosing a size and mounting it and would it blow towards the CPU or the opposite?

Thanks,

Dvorak

nosharpe 16:50 24 Jul 08

Sounds like a standard P4 heatsink to me.

The fan dissipates the heat more effectively therefore it is recommended that you have one.
The CPU usually screws straight onto the aluminium heatsink.

Dvorak 16:59 24 Jul 08

Thanks for the reply.

The heatsink is straight on top of the processor, in copper (gold colour) and has 4 screws (one in each corner). How would I use the fan?

Dvorak 17:12 24 Jul 08

If it helps, here are some images:

click here

click here

DieSse 17:28 24 Jul 08

Often fans can be attached to heatsinks by self-tapping screws, which simply cut a thread into the space between the fins. That was always the case on the smaller sink/fans in the past.

I suppose if carefully done, it would be OK as long as you had a fairly slow fan.

Or you could make a bracket up to attach elsewhere, and simply place the fan over (and near) the heatsink.

Conventionally the fan blows down onto the heatsink - though I0ve seen tersts where it does make a huge difference.

Selection of fans here click here

I would look for around 1200rpm or so. This would be very quiet and not vibrate, so as to keep it attached firmly. Don't skimp.

You will need an 80 or 90cm fan - depending on what your heatsink and clearances really are - check carefully.

DieSse 17:29 24 Jul 08

"though I0ve seen tersts where it does make a huge difference."

Should read

though I've seen tests where it doesn't make a huge difference.

sorry.

Dvorak 17:57 24 Jul 08

Yeah.

Thanks for that.

I will probably tru to bend 2 PCI covers to 90 degrees, drill through the case and mount them at fan distance apart with 2xnuts and bolts. Then Mount fan on rails.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…