CPU Fan

Nonny 16:19 27 Jan 06

Hi
I am trying to reduce the noise from my computer as much as possible.I have eliminated the PSU and case fan. This leaves the HD and CPU fan. I have found that the CPU fan moves about 2-3mm along the heatsink and so does not appear to be fixed down. If I put my ear to a screwdriver I can feel and hear vibration. Is this normal? I have an AMD Athlon XP 1600+ proccesssor. How easy is it to replace the fan.

keef66 17:26 27 Jan 06

replace the whole heatsink and fan with a low noise one. I now have a virtually silent Arctic Cooling hs/fan on my Athlon XP 2100+, cost about a tenner from Ebuyer.
Spins so slowly I had to disable the motherboard cpu fan speed warning.

just make sure there's room around the cpu socket for the heatsink cos they tend to be larger than the AMD OEM versions. Also be sure to remove the old and apply new thermal paste between the cpu and heatsink. My fan / hs came with a small tube included; some have thermal compound already applied to the base of the heatsink.

And be careful with the screwdriver when releasing / reattaching the heatsink securing clip. You sometimes have to apply quite a bit of force to those Athlon clips. I found removing the PSU gave me much better access since my cpu socket is right next to it.

ade.h 17:43 27 Jan 06

click here That's the one to get. Make sure that you get the correct fitting. I don't use any brand other Zalman now, but please avoid the old Flower cooler with the standoff fan - it suffered from some resonance.

Gongoozler 17:52 27 Jan 06

Replacing the fan is quite straightforward but must be done carefully. There are two risk factors. The first is that the spring clip holding the heatsink down onto the motherboard is very strong and if you're not careful, or if you're unlucky, the screwdriver you use to push on the clip can slip and damage the motherboard. The second risk factor is that if you don't get the processor chip surface absolutely clean of any residual dried heatsink compound, then there may be insufficient thermal contact and the processor could burn out (I know because this happened to me). A lower risk solution, but not as good as a new quiet heatsink, is to get a heatsink of a similar pattern to your old one and to unscrew the fans from the heatsinks and swap them over.

Nonny 16:08 28 Jan 06

Thanks guys for your help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac