CPU Error beep on start up-advice please

Bucko1 13:47 07 Nov 03

I have been having overheating problems so decided to fit an Aero 7 Lite heatsink and cooling fan to my Athlon 1.1ghz CPU. (self build computer, working fine for nearly 2 years)

My computer was working this morning before I started this and now on boot up I get one continuous beep and then the computer shuts down. According to my motherboard info this means faulty, improperly installed or non existant CPU.

I was careful not to touch any of the pins on the cpu and wore a wrist strap when I scraped of the old thermal goo with a plastic ruler and cleaned the chip face with isopropyl alcohol. I carefully replaced it in exactly the same way as I took it out (cut off corners to cut off corners).

I then applied new thermal paste to the heatsink (exactly as it was described in the thermal paste instructions) and fitted it to the cpu. (had a bit of a job cause these fans are massive and I had to remove the power supply to get to the retaining clip.

When I booted I got the beep (the fan was working fine though) and the machine shut down. I then repeated the whole process again from the beginning (just in case I had made an error) but once again the continuous beep.

Does this mean that my CPU is now totally knackered???? How can I tell?? is there anything else that I should try??

Most grateful for any advice

terminus 13:51 07 Nov 03
  terminus 13:51 07 Nov 03
  terminus 13:59 07 Nov 03
  DieSse 14:13 07 Nov 03

When you take a CPU out after a number of years - putting it back in again can not infrequently lead to errors simply because of a porr connection.

Try taking it out and putting it back again - but before you fit the heatsink, lift up and push down the locking arms a number of times (carefully) - this will wipe all the contact pins somewhat. It's always worked for me when I've had similar problems in the past.

Also make sure the processor is actually pushed flat into the socket, and not slightly canted.

Bucko1 14:36 07 Nov 03

Thanks for the links Terminus. I have posted on the AMD site but the other site was not for award bios and I could find no info on my problem. I do have a list of what the beeps mean for my Motherboard (Abit Kt7A Raid) and it is definitely a CPU problem

Bucko1 14:39 07 Nov 03

Thanks Diesse I will try that and see what happens. I'm wondering also if I have put on too much thermal paste. I have just read on another post that you should only put a thin coat directly onto the CPU center, but the instructions I followed on the Cooler Master Premium Thermal paste gave me a template to use and I ended up with a 3cm square in the middle of the heatsink - what do you think???

Bucko1 14:59 07 Nov 03

I just thought I'd give it another go before dismantleing everything again and did not panick and turn it off quickly. I now notice that the sound is actually 4 long beeps then shut down.

Reading my beep list again it says that "Bios version WW (which I have)will shut down your machine if no fan tachometer signal is detected on FAN 1 header - Make sure you attach a fan to this header"

I do have the fan header attached here but the old wire had a yellow, red and black wire and the new fan header only has a yellow wire, but it also has a red and black wire that has to be attached to the main power supply. It sure looks like it is something to do with this, but I'm not sure how to resolve it - could I attach a different fan? what about the new header with just the yellow wire - what would I do with this if I use a different fan? I don't even know what it's for exactly (maybe to notify CPU temperature???)
I can't flash my bios to an upgraded version until I can get the computer up and running.

Ohhhh my brain hurts

DieSse 15:03 07 Nov 03

There should be a very thin coat just big enough to cover the CPU itself. Athlons are only about 1cm square, so there may be a bit much on there. However if it's simply over too big an area, I can't see this would cause a problem, unless you've got it all over the processor components.

DieSse 15:07 07 Nov 03

OK - looks like the wires to the power supply socket are to power the fan - and the yellow wire to the fan header is the tachometer.

Is the yellow wire in the same place with respect to th fan header as the old yellow wire was - because it must be to get the tachometer output to be picked up.

Bucko1 15:25 07 Nov 03

I have just checked this in case I put the plug in the wrong way round, but it only fits one way and the yellow wire is in the same position as the on the old fan. It is a 3 pin socket and the yellow wire is on the left hand pin the other two were red centre and black to the right (black being pin 1).

I really appreciate all you help thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5