CPU core speed

jaffa43 21:37 05 Mar 04

Could anyone please explain to me why my computer has started reporting my cpu speed as only 1.3 ghz ? My processor is an AMD 2 ghz,i am running windows xp pro and windows allong with other diagnostic progs report the speed as only a 1.3. The speed was reported as it should be by windows for a while but lately has dropped it from it's real speed to the lower figure. I'm puzzled as to why.
Any advice greatfully appreciated.
Thanx

Diodorus Siculus 08:09 06 Mar 04

Is this a laptop with something like speedstep or the AMD equivalent which drops the speed to what it needs to be if there are fewer processes running, and hence less need for the full power?

bab5 09:08 06 Mar 04

Try checking in your BIOS that the FSB is set right, it could be that it's defaulted to a 100FSB instead of either 133 or 166.

jaffa43 13:24 06 Mar 04

Not a laptop,or speedstep.
Will try the suggestion of checking the bios,,thanx 4 that 1 i never thaught of that.
Will post again if it works.
Cheers to you both.

jaffa43 13:30 06 Mar 04

Checked the bios,,no setting for fsb.
CPU is set as 2000+.
Correct speed reported on boot splash screen and in bios but windows still lists it as a 1.3 ghz ?
Puzzled.

Rayuk 14:30 06 Mar 04

What motherboard do you have?

fuzzyone 14:35 06 Mar 04

jaffa43,

The fsb should be 133 and the multiplier 12.5

bab5 16:33 06 Mar 04

jaffa43,

Try downloading AIDA32 from click here
,it should pick you CPU up as "AMD Athlon XP, 1666 MHz "

You might also like to try click here

Might help

jaffa43 16:22 07 Mar 04

Tried the link suggested by bab5 but even that reports my cpu as a 1.3 ghz amd duron xp when it is an amd 2 ghz duron xp.
Could it be anything to do with my home network?,possibly reading the speed of my sons machine which IS a 1.3 ghz processor,probably a long shot i know but it's the omnly thing i can think of.
By the way that aida32,nice useful appalet.
Cheers.

-Beb- 16:47 07 Mar 04

If you think it may be reading the other pc, try detaching the pc from the network, restart your pc and see what the processor speed is reported at

Rayuk 18:33 07 Mar 04

What cpu is reported on your sons pc?:-)

There are 4 different versions of this board,the manual I looked at states that the cpu is automatically detected.So afraid not much help there.

Do you know which version you have you can sometimes see it stamped or printed between the pci slots

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…