Cpu cooling on a P4 2.53Ghz (Socket 478)

SB23 15:29 08 Mar 08

About 2 weeks ago, I had a good clean out of all the dust, and did notice that the fan was a little more noisey that usual.
My system is running a little warmer than it used to, but I've not noticed any major heating issues.

What I would like to know however, is it just the fan that I replace, or the whole unit, including the heat sink?
I ask because it looks as though the fan is only held on by 4 screws on the top, and I just wondered if that was the easier way.
As I've never replaced any fans before, I thought I had better be sure first.

And before I go, I've looked at cpu cooling at a few places, but I'm confused with all the choices.
All suggestions gratefully received.

Thanks

Steve

Totally-braindead 15:38 08 Mar 08

You can do either. If you are a complete novice then just replacing the fan would be simpler.

To replace the heatsink and fan is not that differcult but can be a bit of a pain as you do have to remove all the old thermal paste. A new fan and heatsink unit normally comes with new paste already on it and its just a matter of removing a plastic protection on the heatsink and putting it on the processor making certain its on properly and level.

A fan can be got easily enough at computer fairs and local PC shops. If you are going to replace the heatsink and fan then theres a bewildering choice and some are virtually silent.

Totally-braindead 15:41 08 Mar 08

You want a socket 478 one click here if you have differculty getting a seperate fan then you could just buy a cheap heatsink and fan and nick the fan off that, as long as it fits.

SB23 16:03 08 Mar 08

That was one that I'd seen, thanks.

Mine looks easy to take out, 2 levers, one on either side, then just pull off, I assume? Clean old paste off, apply new paste, then place back on. And you said it would come with all that I need?

skidzy 20:01 08 Mar 08

Just to throw another in click here

SB23 15:36 09 Mar 08

Just before I close this, as you've both given me enough confidence to just swap the whole cooler over, what's the best fluid to clean the old paste off with?
I've read people use acetone, and some use Isoproyl alcohol, which is best?

Steve

citadel 16:08 09 Mar 08

I used alaska tim clean, very good and easy to use with a nice lemon smell.

SB23 15:50 11 Mar 08

New cooler on its way, thanks to all.

Steve

Totally-braindead 19:21 11 Mar 08

The new cooler "should" have thermal paste on it but do check as its very important.And its also important to get all the old paste off, if you don't it'll create hot spots and the computer will shut itself down all the time. And do be careful you don't break the lugs off the plastic CPU retention on the motherboard.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…