cpu cooling fans

dfghjkl 13:24 12 Sep 03

i have got a amd 1400 running just under 1.1mhz,the fan on it is creamy white in colour,and is a couple of inches high,so high that it touches psu,it sounds like a vacuum cleaner,is it a straightforeward job to change it for a quiet one?or is it a special one?mobo is matsonic 8308e.i have looked in mags but get confused with differant specs.what i want is a cheap,quiet (normal pc noise is fine,i am not after expensive hear a pin drop type)eaasy to fit fan.any suggestions please.thank you

Djohn 14:58 12 Sep 03

click here Have a look at this page, most if not all will be suitable. Regards. j.

The Sack 15:19 12 Sep 03

click here that one is very good for only 7 quid.

dfghjkl 16:20 12 Sep 03

thanks for answers,i have just had a look at mine it is a thermaltake mini super orb,i had not realised it came with heatsink,will i need compound?(i have seen this in mags but know little about it)also does the clip holding old one on easy to remove,or is it a screwdriver through the mobo job?thanks again.ps i tried to look at thread on same page called "fitting new processor"but cant access the link (unable to locate server)

malgall 18:47 12 Sep 03

i had the same problem i have a xp2100
the heatsink and fan installed with it was
loud so i changed it for a coolmaster copper
heatsink and fan a local independant retailer
was able to get it and installed it for only a few extra pounds. my pc is not only quieter
but also cooler.

Djohn 19:16 12 Sep 03

Some heatsinks come with a thermal-Pad already on the base, just remove the protective strip before fitting.

Make sure the top of the CPU is cleaned of all previous paste, use "Isopropyl alcohol" or "Nail varnish remover" [but not the type with conditioning oil in]. And a plastic card, if necessary.

If you use Thermal paste, then apply a small amount to the base of the sink, [Easier than trying to get to CPU] spread it out evenly and very thin, about the same thickness of a piece of 80gm paper. make sure it's even and no air bubbles in it, then carefully set the sink down on to the CPU and fasten the retaining clips.

Don't use the paste if the sink has a pad on the base! You only need enough paste to fill the microscopic scratches that you can't see, and using too much is almost as bad, [but not quite] as using non at all.

If the retaining clips are stiff, then use a piece of wood, rather than a metal screwdriver, old lollipop stick or similar will do. Also if it slips it's far less likely to mark the board. Sounds difficult, but really quite easy and straight forward, if you take your time.

Remember to turn off the power to PC and also at the wall switch, as modern boards have power through to them, even when turned off. Leave the power plug in the socket though, if you can. This will help to earth you and PC from static. [Rub your hand on the Power supply unit, [PSU] to discharge any static before you start.

Good luck, post back if you need any more info. Regards. j.

dfghjkl 20:03 12 Sep 03

thanks for your help,i will have to get one.i will post if i get into trouble

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…