CPU Cooling

Iceman1978 20:23 29 May 03

I just bought a retail P4 processor, which came with the heatsink & fan. The Heatsink had a black thermal pad on the bottom of the heatsink. But as this was the first processor I have upgraded I thought the pad was just a cover protecting the actual pad (what a plonker). I soon realised when attempting to remove it, it was the thermal pad & not a cover. Im now going to get a replacement pad, but can anyone tell me if I should buy a thermal compound(grease) to use in conjuction, or will the pad work ok on its own.

Hachi-Roku 20:36 29 May 03

ive never used a P4 before but i do know that it would be better to use thermal grease! well thats all i know lol! i just hope someone else can explain in more detail since i dont know much about this!

Rayuk 20:46 29 May 03

Use one or the other not both.

You will have to scrape the rest of the pad off the heatsink and clean it[I use nail polish remover,on the heatsink]

If you are going to use Arctic Silver suggest you have a read
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…