CPU Cooler will not fit?

herbie53 12:43 07 Sep 09

Hi, I'm in the middle of building a dual Xeon machine socket 1366 with a Supermicro X8DAI board. I have 2x Gelid Silent Spirit CPU coolers, and they will not attach firmly to the motherboard. It seems the holes are too small and are threaded. When pushing firmly down on the clips intended to hold the cooler down it will not 'click' into place. Can anyone confirm if this cooler is not compatible with the mainboard? I am using the supplied adapter so it is compatible with my CPUs.

Thanks

I am Spartacus 13:10 07 Sep 09

The manual shows a screw retention method rather than pushpin for that motherboard. You could try removing the pushpins and using bolts and springs to fit them. I'm not sure the screws from the stock heatsink would be long enough but are worth a try.

I am Spartacus 13:11 07 Sep 09

Ah, I've just looked at a picture of the Gelid Heatsink. I'm not sure whether you'll have enough room to use bolts.

ambra4 13:43 07 Sep 09

“Can anyone confirm if this cooler is not compatible with the main board?”

Yes the cooler is not for that type of motherboard

The heat sink is screwed down to the motherboard

Download the manual will show the type of cooler required and how to mount

click here

Page 2-5 Chapter 2: Installation

Installing a CPU Heat sink

herbie53 14:06 07 Sep 09

Thank you for your help; the only reason I'm not using the stock cooler is that the Nehalem Xeon does not include one so I went for a silent one. So it's not enough to expect it to work just because it's compatible with the CPU! Could anyone suggest a good cooler to get instead?

ambra4 14:53 07 Sep 09

BXSTS100C combo thermal solution - Intel BXSTS100C Thermal Solution, LGA1366, Active Heatsink

click here

ambra4 15:00 07 Sep 09

Here is a picture with the LGA1366, Active Heat sink Installed

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Apple MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…