CPU Cooler Choice for LGA1156 Motherboard

magnetto 21:56 02 Jan 11

I'm about to upgrade my PC with an Asus P7P55D-E Pro motherboard and Intel i7-870 CPU. I was going to use the supplied cooler until a review of this combination made me reconsider. The review stated the CPU ran very hot under full load with the standard cooler/fan. I'm replacing a P4/Epox motherboard combination which has run with the supplied cooler for over six years without failure.
Can anyone advise if I should upgrade the Intel cooler, and,if so, what to? I have no plans to overclock and would prefer (like everyone else, I suppose!)something quiet, not too expensive, that won't obstruct other motherboard components. I have a tower case allowing about 150mm of height above the board.
Any thoughts and suggestions would be much appreciated

OTT_B 21:58 02 Jan 11

If you have no plans to overclock then the supplied Intel cooler will be fine.
If you really do want to go aftermarket then try the Arctic Freezer Pro i7. It's inexpensive and very good.

OTT_B 21:59 02 Jan 11
  RobCharles1981 22:10 02 Jan 11

click here

The Noctua NH-U12P is way better than the one OTT_B Provided its very effective as I have over clocks my I5 750 to 3.6 this cooler is very easy to fit and worth the money too!

GaT7 22:39 02 Jan 11

The Noctua no doubt is a very good cooler aimed at overclocking enthusiast, but way overkill for your non-overclocking needs IMHO. It may be too tall as well at 15.8 cm. £50 is way too much as well.

The Arctic one will do just fine, but if you think it's a bit 'common', I can suggest a few others for a similar price. G

magnetto 22:54 02 Jan 11

Guys, thanks a lot for the replies! The £50 cooler is definitely overkill for my needs, but I would be willing to spend £20-30 if it helped. (I'm still waiting for my divorce papers after telling 'er indoors what I've spent so far on the upgrade!!) Any other suggestions welcome (or reassurance there is no need!) Thanks again

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…