CPU Cooler 4pin Connector

Goolie 14:35 10 Nov 07

I have just purchased a Zerotherm BTF90 CPU Cooler, it comes with a 4 pin (PWM)fan connector but my Mainboard only has a 3pin cpu fan connector, Will it work using 3 pins? and if so, what is the fourth pin for?
Cheers

Totally-braindead 15:13 10 Nov 07

I've just had a look at a couple of manuals I have lying about for some PCs including this one and they both have 3 pins.
I have no idea what pin 4 is for.
click here it is seemingly backwards compatible so yes you leave the extra pin hanging over the side, its a new connector called a 4-pin PWM fan pigtail.(whatever that is)

Furkin 15:19 10 Nov 07

Goolie:
I think the topic has been discussed in these pages - but I can't find it at the moment.
Maybe an e-mail to the supplier, or Zerotherm will give you the definitive answer.

Goolie 15:20 10 Nov 07

Thanks for that, was thinking of doing that but needed confirmation before I knackered something up!
Cheers

Totally-braindead 15:29 10 Nov 07

The review makes it crystal clear Goolie you just plug it in.

54david27 15:36 10 Nov 07

Hello there, the 4th wire i believe is used for fan speed control, for example some MoBos for AMD CPUs have the Cool and Quiet function which reduces the clock speed and voltage for the CPU when it is not under heavy load so it runs cooler and therefore the fan does not need to run so fast to keep the CPU cool.

ambra4 16:12 10 Nov 07

Using a four-pin connecting heat sink fan with a 3-pin motherboard supply just means blue one is redundant the blue cable is the voltage controller for Cool & Quiet 2

Goolie 16:38 10 Nov 07

Thanks all for your input, cheers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced