CPU Clock Speeds

LimestoneRock 17:25 19 Feb 05

My laptop has been progressively getting slower of late and I have carried out the usual housekeeping tasks to try and improve performance. This did not really work and so I did a clean re-install of Windows XP Home and whilst things are a bit quicker, it remains slow. The spec is as follows: Mobile Athlon 4 1500+, 256mb sdram(133 mhz with 32mb shared with graphics)with 30gb hard drive running Windows XP. A check of the stats in PC Pitstop shows Nominal Clock Speed 1300mhz (which I believe is correct for the CPU mentioned above)but with Measured Clock Speed of 600mhz. This seems strange to me - I think I have a 100 bus although I know little about processors- particularly as the same exercise with my Desktop PC running Win98SE with 512mb DDR ram shows the 2500mhz processor as Nominal Clock Speed of 1833mhz with a Measured Clock Speed of the same ie 1833mhz. It also shows External Clock Speed of 166mhz, although this heading does not show for the Laptop. Could the figures for the Laptop be the cause of it running slow and if so, is there anything I can do - presumably in the BIOS - to improve matters. I do not wish to overclock, though.

Diodorus Siculus 17:48 19 Feb 05

[quote]Measured Clock Speed of 600mhz[/quote]

Many mobile processors will drop to this if there is no great load on them; somewhere in your setup options you should see something like "speedstep"

Also, another 256mb of RAM will make a big difference.

Diodorus Siculus 17:50 19 Feb 05

On Athlons it's called PowerNow, I think.

dan11 17:59 19 Feb 05

Your cpu, as you say, is a mobile or M1500+. At full speed, it should run at 1.333Ghz.

The thing with mobile processors is that they drop the clock speed, when the machine is ticking over and at start up. This reduces the heat given out by the fan and makes the laptop cooler. When the laptop is under pressure, the cpu clock speed increase to cope with the work.

Your fsb should be 133, click here , it may be worth looking in the laptop bios to check the setting.

Jeffers22 18:20 19 Feb 05

Our resident scholar of ancient Greek has the idea - bang in another 256Mb RAM and it'll fly by comparison.

LimestoneRock 20:28 19 Feb 05

Many thanks for your responses - I'm glad that I have not got too much to worry about. I totally agree that I need additional memory but I still cannot find my way into my laptop to let me know where it goes. I have lifted up the keyboard and removed a few screws on the base but I cannot find where the memory is stored!!

TomJerry 20:34 19 Feb 05

maybe both slots have been filled

LimestoneRock 12:12 21 Feb 05

One utility program tells me I have an available slot, another says I haven't. The manual is useless in this regard and my past attempts to contact the manufacturer/supplier both by telephone and e-mail have proved fruitless.

Diodorus Siculus 12:21 21 Feb 05

It should be easy enough to find the slot for the memory on the underside of the laptop - why not open it and look?

TomJerry 14:56 21 Feb 05

it gives very accurate information click here

LimestoneRock 16:19 21 Feb 05

Thanks again. I have tried cpuz and I think it comes up with conflicting information with another program I am using - Crystal CPUID. The latter shows: internal clock 1300mhz,system clock 100mhz,system bus 200mhz and multiplier 13. Cpuz shows: core speed 600mhz(in line with PC Pitstop),fsb 100mhz, bus speed 200mhz with a multipier of 6. Can you please advise further? I have entered the BIOS but it will not let me highlight anything to do with the CPU in order to carry out any "modifications" if I wanted to.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…