CPU changes FSB

woodchip 21:35 19 Nov 05

As anybody got any Idea why my Athlon XP+ changes FSB in BIOS on it's own? it's a PC Chips board. Drops down to 100 from 133 on occasions. And no idea what triggers it

Big Elf 21:41 19 Nov 05

Faulty PSU?

woodchip 21:46 19 Nov 05

You must be kidding. It's just now and again it does it. PSU is a 550Watt

Big Elf 22:19 19 Nov 05

Intermittent failure?

phono 22:23 19 Nov 05

Have you checked the CMOS battery is okay?

woodchip 22:48 19 Nov 05

The motherboard is not very old and it does not lose time. Plus the computer does not get any knocks. So I think I can rule out bad CMOS battery connections. Just wondering if it may be a bug in the CMOS I know there as been updates for the BIOS so I may try one. But I will wait to see if any body else can think of anything.

BIOS by the way is only a collection of small software programs. As in a Office Suit but not as complex

phono 23:08 19 Nov 05

BIOS is a mnemonic for Basic Input and Output System, the BIOS literally enables the motherboard to interface and "communicate" correctly with the hardware that is attached to it thus allowing the computer to boot and load the Operating System which gives a much greater level of control over any attached hardware.

See here click here and here click here

phono 23:14 19 Nov 05

BTW, I was referring to the CMOS battery voltage, not the connections, it is not unknown for a CMOS battery to prematurely "give up the ghost". I have personally come across one such case myself.

woodchip 20:31 20 Nov 05

Yes but it would lose time if the CMOS battery stopped working. As my thread every thing else stays as it should only the FSB changes once in a while. Only reason I see the change is it's my 98se computer and I see the DOS startup screen and it changes from a AMD 2200 XP+ to a 1500 dropping from fsb 133 to 100. the rest of the BIOS settings are retained

igr 23:11 20 Nov 05

Got the same symptons Woodchip, just irritating and seems to happen when re booting or after a crash. So I always check the boot sequence to see the speed of the CPU is at its maximum. If not just press DELETE and re-adjust your BIOS as I am sure you already do.

woodchip 23:18 20 Nov 05

yes that's what I do, but it does not crash, it just does it

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…