CPU Burnt

Wi-Fi 20:42 22 Nov 05

I built a PC couple of days ago. Motherboard is Foxconn K7S741MG-6L. Processor is AMD sempron 2400 socket A. The computer was running fine for around 3-4 days. Today I turned the computer on, windows loaded up, then suddenly everything went blank. I switch it of, then turned it back on again, still the same. I tried it couple of times without any luck. I thought it could be the ram, so I changed it. still the same. The bios doesnt even beep. Suddenly I smelt some thing burning. I check the power supply and ram, they all seam fine. I then removed the heat-sink, underneath the heat sink, I could see burnt brown marks. Silicone paste was applied. I then removed the processor and discovered that the processor was burning. Underneath the processor I could see a burnt brown spot.

My question is, does any one know how did this happen? What was the cause? The CPU or the motherboard? If its the CPU, then can I try another processor on this motherboard? Hoping it doesnt burn the processor.

ade.h 20:45 22 Nov 05

What model of HSF did you have installed?

During those first few days, was there any suggestion of overheating issues?

Was the paste good quality and applied evenly and very sparingly?

I suppose it is possible that this is down to a faulty board, given that it didn't happen right away.

Wi-Fi 20:51 22 Nov 05

ade.h

What do you mean by HSF? If its the heat sink, then I used a arctic cooling cooper silent 2 up to amd athlon 3200.

First few days it worked perfect. Never had any issues of over heating. Paste was applied generously and evenly.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:10 22 Nov 05

Paste was applied generously and evenly.

Too much paste,

there is usually a spreader to put aTHIN even layer on the heat sink.

Too much paste will act as an insulateor.

ade.h 21:33 22 Nov 05

HSF = Heat sink & Fan

Paste must be applied sparingly. You won't notice much difference if too much paste is used, until the CPU temp starts to get towards its safe limit. Then you'll notice a problem.

Wi-Fi 21:36 22 Nov 05

So you think its because I applied to much paste that caused the problem?

The Spires 21:38 22 Nov 05

click here Info on fitting AMD CPU's.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:40 22 Nov 05

So you think its because I applied to much paste that caused the problem?

Yes

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…