CPU

I, have a computer with an Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400S Processor. I would like to know if this processor would be able to handle tasks two years from now eg. Internet, Causual Gaming etc.

OTT_B 18:41 29 Jan 11

If it works for you now, then if you are using the same software in two years time that you are using now, it will be fine....

Unfortunately my crystal ball isn't working so well today, so I can't say what new software releases will need something more powerful to run properly. But from past experience, software released in two years time will probably only just be starting to properly utilise quad core technology.

northumbria61 18:46 29 Jan 11

Hi - Sorry I don't mean to be rude but "how long is a piece of string"? At the speed technology is moving I might be tempted to say NO but a lot depends on your uses and circumstances (ie.Money)
so it is a very difficult question to answer.

With items like computers the saying goes "if it is on the shelf it is almost out of date" - however I don't want to sound negative.

Well I bought the Computer new for Xmas. It is a Sony VAIO L14S1E/S All in One.

Info/Spec click here

OTT_B 19:14 29 Jan 11

Looks like a very nice spec unit. I don't foresee any major issues in the next couple of years, providing you don't have a habit of getting the latest and greatest processor intensive software.

No, I don't get the leatest software and games (i only play Flight Simulator X). Will probably just run College software etc.

Thanks for your opinions.

bremner 20:15 29 Jan 11

You have no worries unless you decide you want to play the latest graphic intensive games.

I am typing this on a laptop that is 7 years old, has had no upgardes and performs more than suffciently on the internet, email, office 2000 etc. Compared to your machine it is a dinosaur.

northumbria61 23:41 29 Jan 11

Just had a look at your computer from the link you provided. Very nice spec. and as per above comments I would agree it should last you a few years yet especially if your "uses" don't change.
I have looked at these in a local Sony shop and I was very impressed by them. Good choice.

AL47 18:31 30 Jan 11

As said just don't expect to play any cpu or gpu intensive games, if it plays or works now it will work in 10 years, not a fan of aio pcs, long as the warranty is good that's the main thing with an aio

bremner 21:11 30 Jan 11

In my office for several years we had 25-30 Vaio's. In that time not a single on had a problem other than a colleague breaking his screen, entirley his fault and it was quickly fixed by Sony (at a cost of course)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This animated short film tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…