CPU 100%......What the heck?

neil_raj 08:45 24 Aug 06

XP boots up, no programs running CPU is 100%, ran spyware and antivirus, uninstalled and reinstalled, won't close down have to unplug. Please help cure my madness!

Regards..... Neil.

skidzy 09:00 24 Aug 06

Neil,open task manager and could you please tell us what process is causing the 100% usage.

skidzy 09:01 24 Aug 06

Also can you tell us what AV and antispyware/malware programs you have ran so far.

neil_raj 09:32 24 Aug 06

ServerHost X is running at full pelt, adaware and avg are installed .... thanks

woodchip 09:46 24 Aug 06

I think you are looking at idle, not what it's using

neil_raj 10:25 24 Aug 06

How do I stop it, nothing will open, PC won't switch off?

Diemmess 10:43 24 Aug 06

Possibly corrupted installation of an application which won't open, but chases around in loops jamming everything else.

Can you pull the plug and reboot from cold into safe mode?
or -

I had a similar seize-up when a web design program became corrupted and didn't open.
I ignored it and then found I couldn't use anything else except at a very very slow pace.

Uninstalled/reinstalled the web design stuff ... once I realised what was happening and had stopped banging my head !

skidzy 12:04 24 Aug 06

As Diemmess says,can you boot into safe mode (tapping f8 on startup).If so,does the system run ok.

Try disabling your firewall briefly and check if this makes a difference.

Alternatively you may like to try this.

Start/Run/Type: msconfig/Startup/untick one by one to see if this stops the 100% cpu.

This could be as stated above a corrupt installation that is trying to load on startup.

It will be a matter of elimination.

Also try running your AV in safemode as well as your antispyware apps.Also if you can download Ewido/Spybot/Defender/Asquared.

A-squared click here

Defender/Spybot/Ewido
click here

Run all these in safe mode if possible.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…