CPU 100% Usage

Greengage 12:50 01 Jan 05

I have read the archive threads but I remain stumped as to why I have 100%usage. I have just put together a "new" PC with new hard drive (80Gb Maxtor 7200rpm), new motherboard and CPU, new sound card, old graphics card (nVidia Prophet II 440 with up-to-date drivers)with new ancillary drives etc. together with wireless adapter. I have stopped all running programs apart from Explorer and I am still getting readings of 100% usage. Also, my hard drive is not performing as it should and PC Pitstop states 27% and hints that I have an older, slower drive. Aida 32 will not show any sensor readings ie temperatures and fan but BIOS does. Running Win98SE. Any ideas would be much appreciated.

steven_frost 13:00 01 Jan 05

How much memory are you using on your system

Greengage 13:26 01 Jan 05

512mb. Sorry I should have mentioned that!

steven_frost 14:34 01 Jan 05

do you use a virus scanner at all or have microsoft office installed

Dan the Confused 14:42 01 Jan 05

See if Process Explorer click here can help you identify it.

Greengage 15:19 01 Jan 05

I use AVG 9 and Zone Alarm (and these were both disabled when I still got the 100% usage figure). Yes, I use Office 2000 but this is not in the start up menu. Am now downloading Process Explorer. Thanks.

Greengage 15:22 01 Jan 05

System Idle Process is showing 97% - what does this mean please?

Dan the Confused 15:31 01 Jan 05

It means the program is reporting your CPU is only running at 3% usage. There is a system tray icon and running graph that will show a graphical representation. Running processes will show their CPU usage individually.

Greengage 15:35 01 Jan 05

Does this mean that I can ignore the 100% usage figure that is being portrayed by Aida32 and PC Pitstop? If so, why is it showing this figure?

Dan the Confused 15:40 01 Jan 05

I don't know, but Microsoft even use this software for some of their Knowledge Base articles (see link). Does the computer actually seem slow at all?

Greengage 18:17 01 Jan 05

Sorry for delay in returning. The PC is not slow as such but tends to hesitate now and again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…